Band saw needs

retiredff

Hello all,

I am just gathering my tools. I have a belt sander and have settled on a drill press. I have researched band saws, and because I have never used one, I'm not sure what I really NEED. I have access to hard wood logs so I will re-saw the logs for my scales. I will also use it for small projects, cross cuts, maybe scrolling. My question is these things vary alot in bells and whistles, from a cheap skill 9" to the most I would buy is a grizzly 14". From my needs above, do I really need something like the Grizzly 14" w/ball bearing guides or will a 12" used sears work and give satisfactory results?

All have a Merry Christmas and a good (profitable & safe) New Year!

Tony

If you are sawing up logs I'm not sure what to suggest. If you have somebody saw the log to plank sized pieces a Grizzly 14 is nice to have. Any saw with ball bearings is a better quality saw. I say if you can afford the Grizzly 14 you wont be sorry.

Like Bruce says, the 14 is nice to have if have the bucks and space the way to go especially if going to use to profile steel. I picked up a used Delta 12" for $125 and it cruises through any wood or soft metal I can throw at it but I wouldn't profile tool steel with it, as the carbide blades cost as much as the saw itself. As per other band saw threads here, the 9 and 10" bench tops are fairly limited in performance and durability and would not invest in them when for a few more dollars can get a lot more saw.

The Grizzly 14" is for wood only. Love mine. With a good resaw Blade it cuts beautiful handle slabs. Hardly have to sand them. Too fast for steel.

retiredff

The 14 inch saw is awesome and will do most of your resawing.
But what I have found and others have mentioned, you will also want to add a porta band for cutting steel. and possibly a small table top scroll saw to do your scroll work. Right tool for every job. and as far as I know there is not one saw that will do all these things well.

My first band saw and still my GO TO saw 9 years later is a 14" Rigid band saw. great saw for the money!

Thanks for the reply's. Between now and when I get the $$$$$$ together to buy new I will watch CL for any deals on a 14".

Tony

After years of not having one I bought the Griz 14" Polar Bear and got the riser block so it runs a 105" Band saw.

It will take care of all of my needs for knifemaking and then some! As far as wood is concerned! The 64 1/2" HF Metal saw is what I struggled with before that using it for steel and small blocks of wood! If you get the HF metal saw get a Bimetal 14tph blade for it.
I bought a Starrett brand last time and it's worth every penny when it comes to cutting CPM-S35VN.

Good Luck!

When I said "sawing logs" I meant logs like firewood. I want to cut slabs for my knife scales. I will likely buy knife "kits", and I realize they are hardened, I will drill and polish as called for and use the slabs I cut from firewood for the scales. It will be awhile until I get to the point of making a knife from scratch.

The use of the band saw will be mainly re-sawing, maybe making small boxes and anything else the saw will do. That is the reason I asked for input before buying. If a sears 12" will cut slabs, that's fine with me. I would rather spend $150 than $500 for a new Grizzly. I could use the savings for a buffer and vac system.

Tony

I think you are referring to a Bookmatch cut for sets of scales for knife making? My experience is to only Cry once!

Pass on the 12" Sears and get the Griz 14" bandsaw.
Sears Craftsman brand use to be quality made tools. Their stuff is such junk these days I won't buy it anymore!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks Laurence. I probably would have opted for the Grizzly. My drill press is a Grizzly 12 speed. Very nice unit!

Tony

Any good quality 14" bandsaw will work fine. The larger, heavier and more horsepower the saw has, the easier it will be to cut large logs into dimensional lumber. Get a good resaw blade for it and it will eat through your logs with ease.

Back