Handle- Bamboo
Fittings- Bronze

Cigar tube type scabbard- Bamboo with cork and woven cotton cord
Hook- Music wire

DSCN7529.JPG

DSCN7530.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good there, Sonny! I actually like the looks of the bamboo handle better than the cork on the earlier models. I like how the larger piece of bamboo conceals the whole knife. This rates as a double Goo...

Is there a piece of bronze on the front of the handle?

Last edited:
Thanks Yar! It's some bamboo I bought at a bamboo ranch in Tucson.

Yep, it's a bronze piece in the front, and back.

Thanks.

The knife wasn't intended to float, but I haven't actually tried it. It might. I'll see. I think the scabbard would float with the knife in it.

Not sure why the image quality isn't so good. Something is not working right when I upload to Photobucket recently. I'll see if I can fix it. The resolution is lower than on my computer for some reason.

T, Just had a thought with the scabbard. You may have done what I am thinking and I just don't see it. Is there a cord connecting the cork with the scabbard?

R, No the cork stopper isn't connected to the scabbard by a cord. I thought about it, (that it might be a good idea), so you don't lose the cork. However, I decided not to do that because it would add a cord loop to the outside that could get caught accidentally and jar the cork out or pull the scabbard off. I also thought maybe I could connect it to the inside, but think the blade would cut through the cord and/or the cord would be in the way.

On the floating cork handled one I'm keeping and testing, I just take the cork plug out and put it back after the knife is out, so it doesn't get lost. I guess it's a trade off between being a fast draw and being well protected and secure. It takes a little getting used to at first, but I'm liking it (cigar tube scabbard) so far. I keep a surgical edge on mine and reserve it for special things, like removing a treble hook out of my finger, bleeding and gutting fish etc. The scabbard really preserves the edge well and keeps the knife dry.

I have grunt knives I use for other stuff, but it's really nice to have that super keen surgical edge ("ludicrous sharp") when you need it... :)

Still not sure what's going on with the pix, but am trying to get help from PB support.

Last edited:
Let me try a temporary fix here, until I get things sorted out with PB.

DSCN7529.JPG

DSCN7530.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

(That seems to have worked, so I'll go ahead and fix the first page.)

Last edited:
R, Here’s some shots from “Corker #1” (same basic construction) that might help visualize what's going on inside the handle. It's a variation of this with the bamboo and bronze end pieces.

Each brass tube has a round domed brass sheet piece silver brazed to the end. The tubing on the back end slides slug into the longer tube which runs almost the full length of the handle interior. A little space is left at the back so the cork handle can be put under compression with a screw press at final assembly,... all held in place and sealed from the inside with high strength epoxy.

DSCN7240_zpsb0d24f58.jpg

DSCN7244_zps6fd54f60.jpg

Last edited:
T, I remember seeing those photo's on your blog if it wasn't a dream. After seeing the cork handle again I like the looks of it to.

R, I think the cork feels better and floats better, but the bamboo looks better.

Not sure it was my blog, but think I posted that somewhere,... maybe here. Forgot?

Cool! That's some nifty bamboo on the handle, and I like the whole concept of the package. A lot like Jaguar Paw's dart quiver in Apocalypto.

Back