Baldor 1/4HP 1800 rpm buffer adequate ?

Tom, just asking here about requiring 1hp on a buffer. Not knocking at all, I see other high end knife makers like Boss 'n Ed as well as others are saying 1hp.

Are you doing heavy cutting with the buff wheel? When doing that type of work more HP was required. For knife blade and handle polishing, I prepare the blade/scales by sanding to at least 800 grit, usually more like 1,000 or 1200 grit. With a good sanded finish and all previous scratches from larger grit removed, it only takes a light touch to bring that mirror shine out. On handles, especially wood scales, just a light touch or the wood will burn so easy.

I've got both, a 1hp and a 1/4hp buffer, but never really need anything larger than 1/4hp for mirror polish. For aggressive buffing (think coarse black compound), then I'll use the 1hp. Anyway, that's how I use a buffer. My question is are you requiring 1hp for polish on wood scales? OR - perhaps more heavy cutting?

I'm asking for info and guidance here, NOT saying "my way" is the right way at all.

Ken H>

I have a 1/4 HP Balbor 3600 RPM and its all I have ever needed for buffing woods and debarring edges. I have never done the finishing from 120 grit on with the grease and a buffer so I can't awnser that part of your question.

I purchased this buffer when I was a noob years ago and just saw a Baldor Buffer for cheap! If I was to buy one today? I would get a 1800 rpm.

Back