Backup Thermocouple Placement

DanF

Wasn't sure which forum to place this in, so here it is if it needs moving, let me know.
I want to add a separate, independent TC to my kiln to have a better idea of the temps inside. Here's the kiln and type K TC
20190502_095957-459x816.jpg20190502_095934-459x816.jpg
My question is this; would I be better off coming in from the top, near the front door (approximately where the front of the knife rack is located, or straight in through the front door, or would it really matter with regard to the readings?
The kilns TC is located center of the back wall, somewhat high.
Thanks,

I'm personally against a second thermocouple in an oven....simply because I'm so anal....if they didn't read EXACTLY alike.....I'd drive myself nuts trying to make them! :)
If you must......I'd recommend coming in the top of the oven..... and midway from front to back...... otherwise you'll likely wreck it in short order. Sides are out....too close to the elements......make a slip there, and you'll be replacing those bad boys. ;) If you were to mount it in the door....the wires and thermocouple would constantly be in your way. Remember, that the ONLY part of the thermocouple that "reads" is the exposed junction at the very end. Going through the top of the oven will give you the best of keeping thing out of your way, and getting good readings. You want that junction at the end of the thermocouple at just about the level your blade will be at......you might need a spacer to get the correct height (if I'm seeing the length correctly in the photo).... then all you have to do is be conscious of where it is inside, and careful when you put blades in.

Last edited:
I am with Ed , I think you would want one thermocouple in a kiln this size since fluctuation will be slight if any and the ability to regulate temp is non existent . Before I retired I was in the pottery industry and our kilns were 1800 cubic ft and we had 3 to 4 thermocouples per kiln.

Thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated!
Traveling this weekend, will be back on forum in a couple days.

"I'm personally against a second thermocouple in an oven....simply because I'm so anal....if they didn't read EXACTLY alike.....I'd drive myself nuts trying to make them!"
I'm on the opposite end of the anal spectrum Ed, I worry more about the one TC being "off" when I put a batch of knives in. I haven't had any problems, just constantly worry about the temp being accurate within 15* or so.

Back