ATS-34 supplier?

It's hard to find after it had some quality issues 10 to 15 years ago. I would think, but don't know for a fact, that the quality issue (amalgamation banding - ie dark spots, blotches) would have been addressed by now. I used to use it and ran into that on a couple knives, threw my remaining stock away and never went back.

CM-154 is the same formula from Crucible and does not have the blotch problem.

I too also had a bunch of problem ATS-34 steel way back. However, CPM 154 can still have problems with impurities. Perhaps it just happened to be in that certain piece I got.
The powder metallurgy process doesn't protect from that.
Frank

Mike,
What sizes are you looking for? I have a few bars of ATS-34 left from about 10 years ago that are on the thick side and when I moved over to mostly culinary, Thin is in!

PM me, I'l look and see what I have.

Laurence
I appreciate it but I am in same spot. Looking for some 3/32 and 1/16 stock. I have a bunch of old 3/16 and 1/4 which I rarely use.

I had bought some from admiral steel about a year ago to give it a try again after having problems years ago too, The newer stuff seemed to be cleaned up again and I was happy with it. That's a bummer Admiral quit selling it ! You might check with Texas Knifemakers supply, I think they used to sell it.
Clint

Back