Ashokan 2010 is finally set and ready!

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
So many people here, and elsewhere, have been asking about the Ashokan seminar after the schedule inversion it did with the sword weekend that I thought I would post this message to let everybody know that that Ashokan 2010 is now set and ready to go!

With the scheduling rework that moved the sword Ashokan to 2011 instead of its planned time this year the folks in the NEBG had to scramble to pull together a regular bladesmithing seminar and that is the reason for the delay in this information. Fortunately they were able to just tap into the lineup that would have been next year and still get most of the demonstrators.

Anyhow you can find all the information about this year’s seminar here:

http://www.ashokanknifeseminar.com/

The Ashokan Bladesmithing Seminar is one of the oldest and most prestigious knifemaker gatherings in the country. It is presented by The New England Bladesmith’s Guild, a group so dedicated to sharing only the best information free of political agendas that they have no dues, membership lists or bylaws but exist solely to offer the best bladesmithing seminar around.

Located in the beautiful Catskills Mountains of New York the Ashokan campus offers a setting that is worth the trip alone, but anybody who has been there will also tell you the food is worth the trip. So if you are just thinking of giving bladesmithing a try, or have been at it for 50 years this is one not to miss. No organizations to join just free sharing of information and good times.

Here's a few more pics from Ashokan past to whet the appetites of the un-initiated....

DSCN0005.JPG

Ric Furrer and Jerry Rados tend the wootz smelt

DSCN0014.JPG

Ric Furrer and (I believe) a smudgy Rock Barrett work some Tamahagane.

DSCN0056.JPG

Even Burt Foster is in awe of Burt Foster's work... :D (Also, note the adoring gaze from Matt Gregory in the background...Burt sure is dreamy isn't he Matt?)

DSCN0091.JPG

Kevin Cashen prepares to set a world record for blade flex...

I'm really looking forward to this year, and it's not just 'cause I'm demonstrating ;)

-d

Thanks Kevin ,
Josh hasn't started on the piece of damascus he bought from you at the Blade show yet. I'm sure we'll see you at Ashokan.
Take care,
JZ

I think there is an airport in newburgh, and I know there is one in albany. Newburgh is a bit closer and if I'm right thats the one we used to fly into.
The ashokan campus is only 5 or 6 miles from woodstock, for reference.
thanks

Fresh Meat here. Sending my check in today

We'll make sure to let Mace know you're new...just as you're crossing the wobbly bridge... :D

It'll be one of the best things you do all year...good choice in deciding to come ;)

-d

Just remember folks- you ain't seen nothin yet! Next year is the once every five years Sword Ashokan, these are the ones I really look forward to as they are so packed with fantastic information that you just cannot get anywhere else. The plans I am aware of so far are-

bringing one of the most knowledgeable guys on swords today, my good friend Peter Johnson from Sweden.

doing a smelt where we will produce a blade from steel we will make from dirt and charcoal on the spot

possibly a wootz smelt

The rest is still under wraps but there will be many great lectures on the historical making and use of all things sword!

Dan says we may need extra accommodations for all the speakers and demonstrators he wants to have, so if you are into swords keep mid September 2011 open and bring lots of note pads because it is going to be an information avalanche!

Back