Artificial Sinew

Alden Cole

I ordered some artificial sinew from ebay for hand stitching leather sheaths. After stitching one sheath with it, I am having difficulties with it and am thinking of trying to return it for these reasons. #1, it stretches a lot as I pull the stitch tight. #2, it wears quickly, even as I am stitching a single sheath it is wearing the thread down. #3, it does not look nice, probably because I wasn't pulling it as tight as I normally would, because it stretched and wore down so quickly. Is this normal in artificial sinew, should I be treating it differently than other kinds of thread, or am I completely using it wrong? Here is a link to where I bought it from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Roll-Natural-Sinew-Waxed-Beading-Craft-Poly-Thread-Spool-Artificial-Wax-Sinue/383417137874?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 I would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

Last edited:
I guess what I am trying to ask is just whether sinew should stretch or wear from normal stitching pulling and stuff.

I have used artificial sinew in sewing sheaths before and I have not had those issues. Maybe its the supplier. I get most of my stuff from Springfield leather now. They have a killer on split shoulders now I scored one craftsman grade 10 oz. for $25. Not a blemish on it and just one hole.

Thanks guys, I think I will switch over to USA made sinew, instead of the stuff from India that I was having problems with.

I agree with the others. I have gotten my artificial sinew from Jantz and never had any of the problems that you describe. I will agree with Chris that you need to get a cake of bees wax and rub the sinew over it even if the sinew comes pre-waxed.

Doug

Back