Anyony using Kirinite for scales?

Benjy

I just put some white pearl kirinite on a Damascus blade. Can I dip this back into a ferric chloride solution without it staining the kirinite? Unfortunately I do not have a scrap piece of the white to see it it stains it...

Attachments

• 20220613_195225.jpg
    20220613_195225.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220613_195129.jpg
    20220613_195129.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220613_195119.jpg
    20220613_195119.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
I don't know whether the acid would stain or not, but I've had good luck doing touch up on damascus by taping up the handle, and using a q-tip dipped in the acid to "paint" the acid on. I've also used those blue shop towels and wiped the acid on when I needed to do the whole blade.

Cost the handle material in finger nail polish. Ferric won’t affect it then you can use acetone to clean the polish off when finished.

Can Kirinite tolerate acetone? Being an acrylic product, I would have thought acetone will dissolve it slightly, leaving the surface hazed. I suggest trying on a scrap first.

kirinite and acetone. So far I've never had any trouble using acetone to clean up epoxy on kirinite scales, no hazing that I've noticed.
Kirinite and Fcl. Sorry, can't say. Never tried it with the white pearl.

Can Kirinite tolerate acetone? Being an acrylic product, I would have thought acetone will dissolve it slightly, leaving the surface hazed. I suggest trying on a scrap first.
Scrap the knife?! That's a little bit extreme, isn't it? :D

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

kirinite and acetone. So far I've never had any trouble using acetone to clean up epoxy on kirinite scales, no hazing that I've noticed.
Kirinite and Fcl. Sorry, can't say. Never tried it with the white pearl.
Thanks for that testimony. Mine was simply a chemistry opinion without specific experience with the Kirinite polymer, and why I just jumped right to saying scrap the knife. ;)

I just sent and email to the Kirinite customer service people...

"Hi. I have a couple questions regarding the permeability and chemical resistance of Kirinite.

Can I use a solvent such as acetone to clean epoxy off of Kirinite?

Also, what happens if I expose Kirinite to a Ferric Chloride solution? Specifically, if I have a knife with a pattern welded steel blade (Damascus steel) and a white Kirinite handle, would I have to worry about staining on the handle?

Thank you for your time!"

I'll let y'all know what they say.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

I've dumped kirinite in it and couldn't tell any difference, not white though that I remember, but I think you should be good

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses! I wiped it down with Acetone before I used epoxy to glue it on, I did not notice any distortion.

Still no reply to my email to their sales team. It's only been 3 business days, though. I'm sure they're absolutely inundated by emails... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just used to abnormally quick responses from customer service?

Back