Anyone working on a new anvil?

Chris Railey

By new anvil I mean current production like Rigid, Kanca, TFS, Cliff Carroll or such. If so, how do you like it and have you ever worked on an old Anvil like Peter Wrights or such. I am thinking of getting a larger anvil (Currently on a 140 ish Peter Wright) and I am going to follow my own advice and go with a new anvil instead of an over priced old one. Thanks in advance.

Interested in this, too. I am looking at anvils although I don't need a monster anvil. Everything used in this area is either knackered to crap or stupid expensive. I'm looking at the Atlas anvil but can't find any reviews on it.

Interested in this, too. I am looking at anvils although I don't need a monster anvil. Everything used in this area is either knackered to crap or stupid expensive. I'm looking at the Atlas anvil but can't find any reviews on it.
I am leaning towards a Kanca 200+ pound anvil. They are reasonably priced. Though, I looked on Old world Anvils site the other day and they have very good prices on large anvils.

I own a hay budden 156# from around 1900. I have done some forging on a fairly new Emerson 200# from Centaur Forge in Bossier City, La. The new anvil was a little better but not enough to justify the extra $1000 to me. But keep in mind, this is a part time hobby for me, not a profession.....yet.

I own a hay budden 156# from around 1900. I have done some forging on a fairly new Emerson 200# from Centaur Forge in Bossier City, La. The new anvil was a little better but not enough to justify the extra $1000 to me. But keep in mind, this is a part time hobby for me, not a profession.....yet.
Thanks that is exactly the type info I am looking for. I have worked on a Fisher and multiple Peter wrights but I have never used a "new" anvil.

I checked out the Atlas and for knife making it looks good for the price to be sure but I do mostly general blacksmith stuff and forge knives here and there so I need a horn and I want to be able to swing an 8 pound hammer without adding to the sway in my current anvil so I need to go bigger I think.

When shopping for/buying a new anvil..... the devil is in the details! Pay particular attention to the materials used....and if they are not listed, or they won't divulge them in a simply phone call.....best to look elsewhere. Today, anvils are all going to be "cast"....BUT....what material are they cast from? 41XX series steels are what I look for. There are a couple out there that list some strange series of numbers....I suspect in an attempt to wow potential buyers. Steer clear. Also, look for the specified Rc hardness......a good anvil is going to be in the low to mid 50s....... Anything less then 52Rc is too soft in my opinion. (a missed blow with a hammer will dent the face). Right now, prices of anvils are overly inflated due to the current forging craze..... supply/demand.

When shopping for/buying a new anvil..... the devil is in the details! Pay particular attention to the materials used....and if they are not listed, or they won't divulge them in a simply phone call.....best to look elsewhere. Today, anvils are all going to be "cast"....BUT....what material are they cast from? 41XX series steels are what I look for. There are a couple out there that list some strange series of numbers....I suspect in an attempt to wow potential buyers. Steer clear. Also, look for the specified Rc hardness......a good anvil is going to be in the low to mid 50s....... Anything less then 52Rc is too soft in my opinion. (a missed blow with a hammer will dent the face). Right now, prices of anvils are overly inflated due to the current forging craze..... supply/demand.
This is true I have researched some anvils only to find out they are made from ductile Iron, which will deform in my experience. Kanca's are drop forged and hardened from 54-62 HRC. That seems like a big variance to me so I wonder if it is on purpose for certain parts of the anvil to be harder or if it is quality control.

There's one out there (can't remember exactly which) that has some song and dance intro as to how their anvils are super duper hardened, drop forged, specially heat treated, yadda, yadda, yadda......and then in smaller print says "ductile iron for superior strength and durability" Nothing hiding there! :rolleyes:

I have a Kanca 110lb and it has been really good. When I was shopping around, it appeared to be the best bang for the buck anvil I saw. I'm sure that some of the higher end anvils may be better, but I don't have any experience with them. They are also significantly more expensive. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I'm pretty low volume production right now, so it works for me.

I have a Kanca 110lb and it has been really good. When I was shopping around, it appeared to be the best bang for the buck anvil I saw. I'm sure that some of the higher end anvils may be better, but I don't have any experience with them. They are also significantly more expensive. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I'm pretty low volume production right now, so it works for me.
Thanks Casey that helps. How does it compare to other anvils you have used?

I have really limited experience with different anvils. During the Intro to Bladesmithing class I took, I used a few different older anvils. I think it compares really well with them. Kanca is primarily a producer of automotive components, so their forging should be good quality.

I have 150lb Hay Budden that I got on ebay for $400. I love it. Maybe when I'm famouso_O I will buy a big new anvil. When was looking for an anvil I really wanted a Nimba. From what I remember there anvil were solid tool steel and the hole anvil was Heat treated even the horn

I have 150lb Hay Budden that I got on ebay for $400. I love it. Maybe when I'm famouso_O I will buy a big new anvil. When was looking for an anvil I really wanted a Nimba. From what I remember there anvil were solid tool steel and the hole anvil was Heat treated even the horn
I drool over those at least once a week!

I really like the Black Robin anvil that USA Knifemaker has. Currently my anvil is a 5" diameter by 5" in height piece of 52100. It works OK but I'd like something a bit bigger. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a full size anvil unless they come down significantly in price.

A number of years ago I had a chance to buy a nice 75 pound anvil for $35.00 and I passed on it because I didn't think I would ever need one...(bangs head on wall)

Back