Anyone who's built their own etcher help please!

Fletch Helical

I'm in the process of soldering and wiring up my etcher from Chris Crawfords website. The part for the AC power cord that he has is no longer made by Radio Shack (or at least listed as that part number), so while I was there I bought what I thought was it's replacement. I just cut the wire and it only has a black and white wire, not a black, white, and green one like is shown.

Is one just a ground wire and I can get by without it? Or do I have the wrong one? If it's the latter does anyone who's built one recently know what the new part number might be?

I'm going to let be known I know literally NOTHING about wiring. The most wiring experience I have is changing out light switches and outlets in my house. Other than that if anyone is able to offer a workaround with what I have please explain it to me as if you were explaining it to a kindergartner. Use crayons if need be by all means.

LOL, you sound like me when I was wiring my grinder. I can sympathize with your pain and wish you well. Sorry I can't help you out Fletch.

You could just take the receptacle end off a three wire extension cord.
Black is Hot
White is neutral
Green is ground.

I'm in the process of soldering and wiring up my etcher from Chris Crawfords website. The part for the AC power cord that he has is no longer made by Radio Shack (or at least listed as that part number), so while I was there I bought what I thought was it's replacement. I just cut the wire and it only has a black and white wire, not a black, white, and green one like is shown.

Is one just a ground wire and I can get by without it? Or do I have the wrong one? If it's the latter does anyone who's built one recently know what the new part number might be?

I'm going to let be known I know literally NOTHING about wiring. The most wiring experience I have is changing out light switches and outlets in my house. Other than that if anyone is able to offer a workaround with what I have please explain it to me as if you were explaining it to a kindergartner. Use crayons if need be by all means.

Fletch,

I'm not an electrician, I have the homeowners knowledge, which is enough for this. If the original plans called for a 3-wire cord, common(white), hot(Black), green(ground), then get yourself a three wire cord. Ground is important. It's a safety measure, as well in some cases helping complete a circuit. Electrical work is not the one you want to take a shortcut on. Taking the receptacle off of a three wire extension cord does not solve the problem because you still only have two wires to use. Fletch, just go to a home depot and get a standard gauge three wire extension cord and cut it in half and use that. Don't worry about having to buy it from Radio shack, as long as it's 3 wire, it meets the criteria for the instructions your following.

Any questions pm me please.

Jeff

If you run a metal case for the transformer, switches and diodes the case needs the ground wire. If you ran an all plastic case you would not. The ground wire is there to protect you if the case somehow became charged.

You can do without the ground, but why.
Its better to take the extra safety precaution.

I ran into the same problem when I built my Etcher, They did not have that part.
All you need to do is go to a radio shack or call one and have them look that part up and then search for the replacement. That's what they did for me.

Or better yet, I found my receipt and this is the cord you need
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875423

I just cut a cord off of an old blow dryer my wife was throwing out, I keep all cords never know when you will need one.

Back