Anyone using a Porta-Band?

I will have to say after using my HF set up for a few weeks I AM NEVER going back to an angle grinder. I have used it for everything and prefer it greatly. Now the jury is still out on longevity, but so far I love it.

My HF saw is GREAT!! Would I rather have a Milwaukee or Dewalt?? Hell yeah but you can buy 3 of the HF + for the price of one of the others! I bought my entire setup including the better SWAG table with a HF foot switch for less than 250 bucks! At 99 dollars that saw us awesome!! I watched some of those videos and one guy on there would have destroyed anything he used.
Second that on the HF. I worked mine for over a year and it was fantastic. The only reason I got a DeWalt now is it was a Fathers Day gift.
Can’t go wrong with the HF. Buy the replacement option and you’ll never have to worry.
I do recommend a foot switch no matter which model you choose.

HF is hit and miss, but there are some gems among the junk. The saw I linked to is the Horizontal/Vertical 3 speed saw, not their Portaband. Having said that, their Portaband gets high marks from everyone who uses it, although from what I read it is loud. Not really a concern for a shop tool that gets used intermittently. The horizontal/vertical bandsaw is a seriously well made saw. I am not aware of any saw on this planet that comes close for the money, and it's quiet.

LOL That guy has entirely too much time on his hands. You can get that saw for about 200 bucks with a discount coupon. It would run for years and years before you had to replace that bronze gear for the princely sum of about ten bucks.

Knifemaking is very expensive. There are some tools such as a grinder or a heat treat oven where you really ought to buy the absolute best you can afford. A bandsaw on the other hand is practically disposable by comparison. Grinder belts will cost three times that in a year easily for a hobby maker. For 200 bucks I could buy one every year and never bat an eye. It cuts things way faster and easier than a hacksaw, and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Back