Anyone using a Porta-Band?

Chris Railey

I would like to hear from anyone currently using a portable band saw to cut out knife profiles. If you started with an angle grinder to rough a profile do you prefer the porta-band? What is the thickest steel you have cut with one and did it work well? Can you see well enough and control it well enough to cut simple curves in 1/8th or 3/16 steel? Does the HF Bauer brand work well enough for weekend use? I am thinking of upgrading to a porta-band for the knives I make via stock removal but it will also help with my blacksmithing. During the summer in Georgia it would be nice to slit with a saw instead of multiple heats in the forge. I appreciate any advice given.

I do. Do yourself a favor and get a Swag table for it immediately. You'll thank me later.

As far as cutting radiuses, not great if they're tight. You have to kind of "nip" them out, coming from multiple angles into them.

I use it to rough cut than refine it on my grinder with small wheels.

I also use a Milwaukee porta-band with a homebrew SWAG table. There is no comparison to using an angle grinder.

Personally, I think a porta-band, setup on a stand is about the most cost effective, best cutting metal saw a small shop can have. There are drawbacks..... mainly the throat depth on these saws. It allows for about 4" of cut length, give or take, depending on the specific saw.

I'm not a big fan of the commercially available stands.... they are all very lightweight and somewhat "rickety". If a person has a welder and can fabricate a bit, you can build a much better stand then you can buy.

When it comes to brands, I first chose to go with Milwaukee, but that saw only lasted about 3 months (purchased brand new), and Milwaukee refused to honor the warranty..... so I then purchased a Dewalt with variable speed, and it's been cutting for several years now without issue.

The most important part of these saws is your blade choice. I tend to stick with single sized tooth blades, primarily 18 & 24 tooth, and am very picky about the blade I use..... my favorite are 8% cobalt blades..... I have a source out of Florida where I purchase 10-50 at a time, and the cost works out to less then $4 per blade.

Here's a few images of mine....

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

Ditto what everyone else is saying. Started with a disc grinder....nasty, noisy, sparkie :) Went with a Bauer from HF but recently got a Dewalt for fathers day. I highly recommend one.

Likewise, I have a Bauer from HF for $99, and it has been working like a champ so far. It is loud, and I know it will die one day, but it has worked great so far. I bought a SWAG offroad table, and it has been a life saver in time and effort.

So, I actually use the HF blades. Reason being is that they are cheap, and the Bauer Portaband needs .025" blades, while most of the other blades are .020". They actually last for a long time, even on 1/4" thick metal.

So, I actually use the HF blades. Reason being is that they are cheap, and the Bauer Portaband needs .025" blades, while most of the other blades are .020". They actually last for a long time, even on 1/4" thick metal.

Are you buying the new Bauer blades or the older ones they were selling.

I've used the Bauer blades and I have been very satisfied. I'll probably use them on the DeWalt.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have my set up soon. Saw and swag. I have never used a metal bandsaw if I need it to would it cut 1/4 canvass micarta without burning it?

I don't have a problem with Micarta on mine a blade and speed change may be in order. That is the only thing I don't like about the HF Bauer saw the speed control is kinda almost all or nothing.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have my set up soon. Saw and swag. I have never used a metal bandsaw if I need it to would it cut 1/4 canvass micarta without burning it?

OK in response they will cut most anything, including fingers, (don't ask how I know) but, those fine teeth will eat thru bone as well( not mine but, some I cut for use with a sheath). So far I haven't found anything I have took a notion to cut that it won't cut!! Don't force it and let the blade do the cutting.

I use a foot petal with mine, which is the safest way to go, IMHO

OP I use a foot petal as well. The one thing I will tell you is I can't count the number of times I have stepped up to the saw and accidently hit the foot pedal. It will scare the bejesus out of you when it happens! Especially when you realize how close your finger was too the blade!! So far never cut myself doing that but I have cut myself by pushing the piece without a material stick! It will happen so fast, the piece slips, turns, etc. etc. and that fine tooth blade begins cutting the skin so fast, it takes the brain a second or two to say, OW that hurts!!

I bought a harbor frieght porta band built a homemade stand for it and don't know how I could do without it. I cut everything from metal, wood, g10 and micarta with it I have even cut titanium with it. I buy blades for mine and lowes or HD. Mine variable speed is pretty good with the little turn dial on the trigger.
Mine is LOUDER then crap but works.

Good deal guys thanks for all the responses. I have a pretty decent wood bandsaw but it has been showing its age lately and making me angry. I think I will do a portaband set up and only use my wood saw with throat clearace issue items. Thanks again.

Ok I could not stand it any longer so I faked a seizure and got to leave work early. $129 out the door for portaband, 3 extra blades and a free 24 pack of batteries. Got home and rigged a temporary vertical stand. Did some test cuts and you guys are right if I never have to cut with my grinder again I am ok with it. Thanks again.

Back