Anyone use a rock for hollow grinding a blade?

Leeco

I seen a video of john neeman making a knife using a grinding rock, an was thinking of making a 10 inch grinder using a 2 x 10 rock for hollow grinding. I planned on adjustable speed. Belt driven shaft with rock attached any thoughts on this.Screenshot_2016-12-15-10-04-40.jpg

It can be done, but a belt on a contact wheel is far superior.

One of the bigger obstacles with a stone wheel is the uneven wear and changing diameter.

Obviously it's something that CAN be done, but the question is..... Will you create more problems for yourself then you solve?

-"Rock" wheels abrade away as they are used, constantly reducing the diameter. This means the wheel is constantly reducing in size....changing the way it grinds.
-They come in very limited grit sizes (this means you have to figure out other methods to "clean up" the grinds)
-Compared to abrasive belts the amount of stock removal is painfully slow
-"Rock" wheels "glaze" and/or clog more so then abrasive belts, and are more difficult to clean/deglaze.
-They are very sensitive to speed versus how efficiently they work.
-The are susceptible to chipping/breaking
-Compared to abrasive belts they are just plain more dangerous to use.

I don't mean to be the rain on the parade, but I simply can't see any advantages to using a "rock" wheel for blade grinder over a belt. I guess that MAYBE, if an individual doesn't own a belt grinder, and only wants to "play" with making a single blade, it might be more economical, but if it's something a person wants to try, in order to see if knifemaking is for them....it's just gona drive you away.

I did hollow grind 3 or 4 blades using an 8" stone wheel when I first started making about 20 years ago. It can be done but even with a good hollow grind using a stone wheel the scratches are very deep and finishing the blade is very time consuming. The best thing about using a stone wheel is you will appreciate a belt grinder that much more.

I can't tell for sure, but that looks like a face mounted wheel. In which case you wouldn't use the OD of the wheel for grinding. You might want to check that.

Back