Anyone recommend WaterJet cutting services for knife blanks ?

Lerch

I have used great lakes waterjet in the past but he is pretty tied up with his own projects right now, i was wanting to get some blanks with skeletonized handles done before to long

any recommendations ?

thanks
lerch

I've been using Mark Vanderwest at Leading Edge Fabrication, Inc., and I couldn't be happier.

Prices have been extremely reasonable, commications prompt and thorough, and turn around time is absolutely mind blowing.
I had my last order shipped out within 24 hours of Mark receiving my material. Can't say that's the norm, but even my prior order shipped within a day or two.

Give him a call at 231.893.2605 or shoot him an email: mark@leadingedgefab.com

Andrew- If you dont mind what was he charging you a blank roughly?

I have been quoted as high as $400 for 20 blanks which is crazy from local waterjet guys around here.

Lerch and anyone else,

After using other WJ outfits,I have been extremely happy with the work from Jay at http://www.waterjettech.com He is all I will use these days after the fiascos I went through with others.

He has no set up charge and only charges you a rate feed cutting amount which if memory serves was only .55 cents a inch? It depends on the thickness of the steel.

He also sends the proof back and forth until you are both 100% happy with the dimensions.
Then he keeps the file on record for reorders.

I have the steel sent from the mill directly to Jay and he ships the blanks to me.

I can't tell you exactly what he'll charge for your specific project, but personally, I was having bottle openers cut out of titanium sheet that was .125" thick.
It came out to about $3 to $4 per piece for me, but I was getting 100+ pieces at a time.

Price does/will depend on a few things:
Number of pieces - more pieces typically work out for less $ per piece.
type and thickness of material
how fine of a cut/finish is needed
complexity of design, i.e., how long will it take to cut each piece.

I'd give Mark a call and see what he says. He can probalby give you a rough idea of price, especially if you send him a CAD file or example of your design.

Another positive is that they just upgraded their waterjet at the end of last year. 5 axis head and tremendous accuracy. Pretty much eliminates taper that you sometimes get with other WJ machines, as I understand it.

I have used Great Lakes Water Jet for prototypes and will recommend Dave's work if he is available.

Back