Anyone here use a surface grinder attachment?

REK Knives

Curious on how many blades you can get out of one 60 or 120 grit belt, and if you can also list how much stock removal you're doing that would be great!

I'm trying to Gauge whether or not I should get one soon for an upcoming batch... Need to remove .020" in the annealed condition and they are pretty small blades (6" oal)

It depends on the accuracy you’re shooting for. The more worn a belt gets the less accuracy you get. If I’m going for super accurate I use a new belt on every piece. However if you’re just going for pretty darn flat you can pretty much use the belt till its shot. Haven’t really thought about how many I get from a belt. Haven’t really noticed it eating through belts though. about the same as normal grinding I would say.

A SGA is one of the most useful items in the shop. It's used enough I'd like to have a dedicated machine with SGA. For removing metal a good fresh 36 grit belt does a good job, and a single belt is just like hand grinding - they do wear pretty quick. Even the ceramic belts will wear out with use. About same rate as hand grinding.

Thanks for chiming in guys, guess I'll find out... Just ordered the sga from reeder. I'm curious how much difference it makes on hardened vs annealed steel. I can rough grind out over 20 blanks on a single 50 grit Blaze in the annealed condition, would be cool if the same works on the sga.

Back