Anyone else afraid to shut down for a couple of weeks?

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
Marilyn and I are going on vacation for a couple weeks. It's kind of scary to tell customers you won't be here for a while. I suspect most knife related businesses are "mom and pop" businesses. Work / Life balance is hard to justify for an entrepreneur.

:rolleyes:

go, have a restful trip and hug your wife, life's too short,

i have my own business too and the customers get over it. what we offer as small business far out weighs any inconvenience a customer might have in the short run. tell people ahead of time and go have fun.

Erik

I have that reservation too!
But you just have to Do It! or you work yourself into a early grave.
The do get over it, and if it helps any you are doing it the right time of the year. To do this in November might not be the best move?
Enjoy your vacation!!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

unless your late on a promised dead line or contract order would be one thing but, if you have freed up the time it none of there business if you take off a couple weeks off. i know makers that have lost there families because of there business. and others that started to burn out to the point that there work suffered to the point they lost all there clients. knife making for a living is a feast or famine propers ion and our wives and families are right there with us. everyone needs a break even from a job you love.

Just give advance notice and you'll be fine. I've had a few times where I was going to be unavailable for 4-8 days at a time and I've made notice right at the top of my website and on my answering machine. A post in any pertinent forums would be appropriate too. But-

Leave it at, "We won't be working for X days over this period." Detailing your plans or explicitly saying you'll be away from home or your shop is asking to get robbed.

Hey Rob I need to order some belts right away where are you? Rob?

I'm just kidding have a good vacation.

Absolutely take time off. I didn't know what a holiday was for first 20 years of business. Good thing I have an understanding wife and kids. Now that I do take holidays I enjoy them so much I don't want to go back to work.
Jim

frank's right leave a message that you will not be takings calls from this date till this date. vacation as hard as you work. use it to recharge your batteries.
brad you might try this place called midwest knifemaking supplies they are suppose to be pretty good.
so go on vacation!

Back