Anyone converted your grinder to water-cooled?

REK Knives

I am curious... I thin I could do this to my NWG if I can borrow a friend's welder. anyone else done it? Also, will the black duro wheels/bearings hold up to that or do you have to have special ones? I am thinking about a tray all they away around the belt area and then using a kool mist. It may not even be feasible, but it would help with not having to stop and dunk my blade in water every minute, not to mention extending belt life.

the biggest benefit though would be no dust =)

post pics if you have em!

Personally, I tried it a number of years ago, but the mess just wasn't a worth while trade-off. Water gets slung EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure a person could build a guard or tray to contain it. Others might have had better success then me, but for me it's a "no go".

Finally got it done! It only works w/ my platen or slack belt attachment... doesn't work with the hollow grinding wheels, but it is a huge improvement! Works like a charm! I have a few tweaks to make... belt change is kind of a hassle, but only takes 1-2 minutes. One thing I am having an issue with is figuring out the top wheel... I like to be able to look down parallel with the platen (from above) but the pvc gets in the way. I actually cut it back more since in this picture, but now it sprays water everywhere. I think I will try the sponge idea!

0528141857.jpg

0528141858b.jpg

0528141858c.jpg

0528141858.jpg

Interesting design, i'm glad you went forth to see what you could do.

Access and line of sight hampering would be my two concerns as well. The sponge method from Bob Terzola may be the better option? I've used a spray bottle with diluted Accucool grinding fluid for grinding on very thin blades post HTment of course.

Like Ed, It makes such a mess that i really want to pull the grinder outside, or have part of the shop where I could hose it down, without any motors running until it's all dry again! :what!:

This design makes surprisingly little mess... absolutely no moisture on my grinder or motor... a little on the floor, but that is mainly because my drain hose was leaking. I will try to get a video up soon.

Makes a little mess?
Are you going to be hogging off the bevels with 36 grit or 60 grit balls out with this machine or is this one going to be a 120-220 grit etc finishing machine?

The reason I ask is when I put the petal to the metal grinding steel with the heavy grit belts & grinding fluid is when it sprayed everywhere!

You might make a sliding cover that you can slide back on the front for line of sight work.

Last edited:
Makes a little mess?
Are you going to be hogging off the bevels with 36 grit or 60 grit balls out with this machine or is this one going to be a 120-220 grit etc finishing machine?

The reason I ask is when I put the petal to the metal grinding steel with the heavy grit belts & grinding fluid is when it sprayed everywhere!

You might make a sliding cover that you can slide back on the front for line of sight work.

Yeah, I haven't tested it at full speed yet... want to work out the other kinks, but i'll keep ya posted!

I primarily want it for finishing (sharpening) but having it for hogging off metal would be FANTASTIC. so we shall see!

Back