Anybody know what these are?

Mark Knapp

Dealer - Purveyor
Do you know what these are? Any body know what kind of steel it is?

DSCF4835-XL.jpg

As you can see, in this next picture I did a break test on it and it hardened up real hard.
DSCF4836-XL.jpg

See the grain structure?

They might be something from the railroad industry. you might try looking for railroad spikes and clips.
They might be some sort of wheel chock to keep a rail car from rolling away when disconnected. The flat part would go under the wheel. Just guessing though...

They are "e" clips. they are used to hold down subway car tracks. They are a spring steel, I have a few and have made a couple knives with them. I treated them like 5160. If you search "Subway track E clip" you can get info on them.

They are "e" clips. they are used to hold down subway car tracks. They are a spring steel, I have a few and have made a couple knives with them. I treated them like 5160. If you search "Subway track E clip" you can get info on them.
This one has more technical info on the material - but may not be the same as what you have:

I knew you guys would know. They did act like 5160 when I hardened them. I suspected they were railroad related. Stuff just shows up around here because people know we make things out of stuff.

Thanks a lot.

Back