Any value?

I have been given a box of stuff and this knife was in there. Can anyone tell me if it a decent knife and what would be a good style sheath for it? ThanksF64AE9D4-7CDB-4995-A1DC-5251D0AA2998.jpeg517F957A-2EA2-4FE7-AF9E-FA2B0A9BBF71.jpeg

I identify as that being from a reputable maker. The sheath style would depend on what strikes your fancy. A pouch sheath or a sheath with the front and back sewn togeter would be fine.

Doug

Thank y’all for the responses. I’m gonna cuss, fuss, and discuss amongst myself and decide what sheath to make. Again, thanks for the info

No idea about value. Reminds me of the old Western knives. Personally, I would choose a sheath made like these.

B24F23C7-58DE-4D95-A020-5DD73A141D4C.jpg

383E2577-93DD-480A-A850-5A5CF96DFC1B.jpg

BE26702C-7291-4395-9637-E20AD5DE7FDF.jpg

Check ebay for knives of similar value. In the 50's and sixties Soligen Germany flooded America with tens of thousands of such blades. Soligen steel was reputed to be a superior steel and just having the Soligen name gave any blade a mystical quality.. I got mine as a birthday present.

Those pattern knives came in a variety of brand names. They were sold by the millions so there's no collector value but they are good knives and have been carried by many people for many years. That one is in pretty good shape. Often the antler is dry and brittle and is beginning to crack and crumble. The sheaths that came with them were very thin leather with brass or copper rivets. The rivets would corrode and the leather would tear, so the knives nearly always outlive the sheaths. No biggie. It's a great project to restore that knife if you want to and to try your hand at making a sheath. You can buy premade sheaths that are every bit as good as the one the knife came with.

Last edited:
Back