Any Spot Welders Out There?

Johnny Roberts

I am interested in spot welding some 1/8 inch stainless steel bolsters to my liners. The liners are stainless as well and .040 to .060 thick.

My problem is that I only have 110 in my shop and I don't see any 110 Spot Welders that will do more than 1/8 inch thickness.

Does anyone have any experience with the 110 spot welders?

JR

I own a 220V spot welder, and it works well. I've used the 115V models, and can tell you that they do not work well, no matter how thin the stock. Of the folks I know who have owned 115V spot welders, most have switched to 220V models because either the 115V just would not do the job, or it burned up shortly after they got it.

I was afraid of that. But good to know for sure, Ed.

220 in the shop is not an option so I need to come up with an alternative.

I may just give the soldering another attempt. Soldering stainless can be a real chore.

JR

Not to go against Ed but I have and have used a 110 volt spot welder on several folders and a few small kitchen knives with no problems. one thing that greatly effects the way and how well they work is the shape and alignment of the tips.

I learned my lesson welding stainless
HPIM2383.jpg

Thanks Bill. I may have the oppurtunity to play waith a 110 before I purchase.

An electrician friend of mine may have an idea bout 220 in my shop so I am going to see how that plays out over thenext few weeks.

And I cringe every time I see photo, HellGap. YIKES!

Hey Bill! I'm glad that the 110V worked/works for you! I thought I would save some money on a spot welder and purchased a 110V....I couldn't get it to hold an 1/8" bolster on .040 liners for nothing....and then the darn thing burnt up after about the 6th weld! Not sure if I'm just "bad luck shleprock" or what, but I purchased a 220V afterward and things have been good ever since (now you watch...it'll crap out on me the next time I use it...now that I've said that!:))

I also use a 110v spotwelder and have never had problems with it. as long as you keep the tips clean and the weld time to a minimum you should be fine.

Hey Bill! I'm glad that the 110V worked/works for you! I thought I would save some money on a spot welder and purchased a 110V....I couldn't get it to hold an 1/8" bolster on .040 liners for nothing....and then the darn thing burnt up after about the 6th weld! Not sure if I'm just "bad luck shleprock" or what, but I purchased a 220V afterward and things have been good ever since (now you watch...it'll crap out on me the next time I use it...now that I've said that!:))

Hey Ed, what kind of welder did you get? I bought mine at a yard sale for 50 bucks. Didn't know what kind of a deal I got until I went to buy new tips for it. aparently the first owner didn't know what he was doing because the tips were burnt and melted but the machine looked new. any way I bought new tips from miller and found out that my welder was just over a year old. I have used it a bunch for body work and as I said on a few knives. I saw Tom F. and Mike V weld like six sets of bolsters on at The big sword invitational this spring without a miss. they were using a brand new harbor freight welder. I think that Tom had mentioned that the first one burt out after only a few welds. Tom is also told me that for welding on bolsters you want different point on each tip. a large one and a small one and then you use them on certain sides (liner/bolster) but I can't remember which.

I got a 220volt spot welder from a body shop that was going out of bizz, got it for a song, so keep your eyes open locally to find a good one cheeep.

I will get an WIP going for the correct way to silver solder on bolsters and pommels, it is easy with the right materials and technique.

Tom is also told me that for welding on bolsters you want different point on each tip. a large one and a small one and then you use them on certain sides (liner/bolster) but I can't remember which.

That would be VERY interesting to hear more about!

JR

Back