any good videos to help with a grinding techniuqes?

Work765

i really want to get better at grinding, and I know its all about practice, but I also seem to encounter questions every time I hit the grinder and try something.

Are there any good video resources that go over a dozen different types of grinds and how to?

on figure 1. how do i grind to the height of the tip of the blade but have the tip sharp? is it an arch motion as i get towards the tip? Basically if i just keep the knife completely straight and grind it up slowly moving my shoulder up.. by the time i hit the tip, it will not be pointy there... what do you guys do? is this possible?

thanksknife.jpg

For the tip I would slightly rotate it so that it grinds material from the tip or grind slightly above it. In fig. 2 it looks like you don't have consistent pressure on the blade when grinding. If what you do is move around the blade to get the areas back to even and then try and maintain consistent pressure.

Try pulling the tang toward you and give it a slight twist as you get to the tip.

Second photo... most likely too much pressure in that area. Try starting at the tip and grinding toward the plunge. Let the belt do the work to get it even. You don't have to always start near the plunge and you don't have to make full passes. Focus on the problem areas.

You are getting the 2" line from rocking it to the tip side.
Steven has a way for you to fix pic 2. When you start your next one. Go in at the plunge and with even smooth pressure draw it toward the tip with a little pull towards you as you get into the first third of the knife.

Here is how I approach my flat bevel grinding.
My right is my strong side.
So I first grind with my left and then match it with my right where I have better control. Use sharp belts!
I use a fresh 36,60 and then 120 grit belt for each knife I bevel grind, then I use those belts for profiling and other rough chores.

Control the grind line as you go. Do not let it get away from you. Whenever you notice an uneven spot, correct that. Grind the distal taper in your blades before you begin grinding the bevels. This will make keeping the grind line straight, easier. If you grind the taper in as you are grinding the bevels you are fighting the grind from the beginning. A blade will float on a moving belt if you don't put down pressure on it; position the blade on the moving belt before applying pressure.

Fred

Back