Any experince with Caswell Black Oxide finish and KG Gun Kote Finish ?

Lerch

I am wanting to do a run of heavy tactical knives in carbon steel and i am interested in doing a form of rust and abrasion resistant coating on them. I have access to a friend who does very good baked on CeraKote but i was hoping maybe one of these two finishes would be a little tougher. I know Winkler knives uses both the Caswell oxide finish and they list a KG finish

I checked out KG's website and they list Gun Kote finish in different colors and a K Phosphate finish, i wasnt for sure if those two could be used in conjunction.

I would love to be able to coat in a desert tan or FDE but mainly i just need a finish that is tough as hell !

thanks
steve

All these coatings have one downfall.
Hard edges such as a spine or choil will chip with hard use and just the act of sharpening gives chips or peeling a place to start at the edge. I've been waiting for a Dykem type product that's permanent, something that actually colors the steel like bluing does.

Rudy

I have used the gun coat and the cerakote and would have to say the cerakote has held up better. I am still new to the coatings but used both on identical knives I sent to units and the cerakote knives have not come off the gun cote has either chipped and corners or has scratched all the way through.

Thanks guys, the cerakote is actually the easiest route for me to go and since they bake it at such a low temp i guess it wont mess with the temper. besides the cutting edge there wont be any other hard edges on the knife, i round it all off.

Back