Antique bowie?

Clydetz

Buck 110 Collector and Casper's best friend
Anyone care to comment on this supposedly Civil War era bowie? Where might it have been made? When? Is the lever for locking/unlocking the blade?

antiquebowie.jpg

It might very well be civil war era but......
The guard says Pakistan all over it to me. It reminds me of the invasion of Pakistani knives I saw in the late 70's- early 80's with similar construction. The blade almost looks to be plated (?) with a long narrow grind which I also remember seeing back then. The only thing that throws it off for me is the stag, they usually came with horn or some lack luster lumber attached to them. I think I have at least one (folding bowie) kicking around here someplace, maybe I'll stumble onto it. I could be wrong, but that guard brings back bad memories .

Rudy

Thanks Rudy. I felt the same way about the brass guard. I have a few of these folding bowies (Germany, Spain, Pakistan & one I'm not sure of) but I've never run across that style of locking mechanism, nor could I find another like that on Google.

004-14.jpg

I found some info from a 2007 post on another forum which leads me to definitely believe this knife was made in India in the 1950's. This one went for $188. :what!:

I stumbled onto that auction purely by chance after my last post, the back story was very entertaining and redundant. How would they know it was civil war era without documentation ? I got a bit of a laugh from their story. I have seen that lock system before on a couple knives, guess what......they were from Pakistan. LOL.
Buyer beware.

Rudy

Wanted to know if you have any information on the bottom knife in your picture. I have one identical with the sheeth

Back