Another War Club

Church & Son

I can’t do one of anything but can’t do two the same….

This one was inspired by the movie “Last of the Mohicans”…
The Dad, Chingoshgook, carried one and done some serious damage with it!!

It’s out of some maple roughsawn that’s been laying around here a while…
Cut out with a coping saw, them shaped with drawkives and rasps…

The blade is the other half of that old strap hinge from the first..

The paint was new to me…It’s called milkpaint and combines milk, vinegar
and powdered pigments…

Some egg tanned, a litle rawhide, beads, feathers, tin and brass cups..ect..
Finish is varnish, dirt and grease…..

And a shot of both...

Last edited:
Deadly looking. I would rather be shot with a gun...probably grazed very lightly....or not at all...
Very well done. I like both!

I love it! I always thought those were such formidable weapons. Imagine someone who knew what they were doing coming at you with one... makes me want to wet myself or run (if my family wasn't involved, I would run!).

But... I can't run very fast any more.

Anyway, too cool. Historically, were those just coincidentally the shape of gun stocks? Or, did they come from broken guns or something? I guess I am asking whether the form existed much prior to exposure to firearms?

great work,
kc

Thanks Guys, they are fun to make and swing!!

Anyway, too cool. Historically, were those just coincidentally the shape of gun stocks? Or, did they come from broken guns or something? I guess I am asking whether the form existed much prior to exposure to firearms?

Thanks Kelvin, here's a pic of a painting Chuck Burrows shared of the Aztec feathered serpent deity Quetzalcoatl...
He was worshiped from about 900-1400ad...That would pre-date Euro's on this continent, as well as firearms....
Sure looks like a gunstock shape to me...
A real gunstock would be very fragile where all the wood is removed for the locks, triggers, ect...
These has been very much learning curve projects, love 'em....Now I need customers for them so I can make more!!

quetzal-warclub.jpg

Back