Another one with a new toy

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
I have planned on getting a heat treat oven at some point in the future, but when a 25% Blade Show discount came up on these, I had to order one. It came in yesterday and didn't take any time to get it going. This is the Jen-ken Kilns 21" air bath kiln.

Now that I have this, I plan to expand into a couple new steels after a lot of testing.

Very nice! I'll have to do some research on these. I'm not familiar with them at all but it looks like a beast. How long of a blade can you put in there.
Should have been more observant, I see it says 21".

I have planned on getting a heat treat oven at some point in the future, but when a 25% Blade Show discount came up on these, I had to order one. It came in yesterday and didn't take any time to get it going. This is the Jen-ken Kilns 21" air bath kiln.

Now that I have this, I plan to expand into a couple new steels after a lot of testing.
Where was the blade show? I'm shopping for one now and can probably wait to get a 25% discount!!!

This was the blade show in Atlanta in ‘18. They had an online special that I bought it through. I’m not sure if they have the special every year or not.
Thanks for letting me know. I live in Arkansas and Atlanta is a bit of a drive for me. I am saving up for the air bath 21, but I would hate to miss out on a 25% off sale!!! I think the show is in June, so I might wait it out if they have a sale online. Thanks again!

Also Gene, do you like the 3 button controller, or do you wish you had the 12 button or tap instead? I know it's always nice to have a better controller, but sometimes it's not worth the $$$.

Thanks again man!

Also Gene, do you like the 3 button controller, or do you wish you had the 12 button or tap instead? I know it's always nice to have a better controller, but sometimes it's not worth the $$$.

Thanks again man!

I get along fine with the 3 button. For me, I didn’t see the need to spend extra for the tap. They told me I could always add it later, but haven’t seen the need for it yet.

Hey folks, Gene got that back in 2018 - check the date of first post.

Gene, how do you like that vertical kiln setup? Do you have any horizontal oven experience to compare vertical vs horizontal?

I looked at those while at the 2018 Blade myself and really liked the looks of them. The salesman sold me on the vertical design, but I already had a horizontal oven and couldn't use another..... well, couldn't afford one anyway.

Ken,

I don't have any experience with a horizontal oven, but I love this vertical one. To me, it shines when doing normalizing and thermal cycling. I have had 14 or 15 knives in it at once. I think the vertical design may help with warping, but it doesn't eliminate it, especially with AEB-L.

Back