Another Makers Mark Question

What does a stencil like that cost and how long will it last just trying to weigh my options I understand if you don’t wanna disclose that info but I’m just trying to get a ballpark idea

What does a stencil like that cost and how long will it last just trying to weigh my options I understand if you don’t wanna disclose that info but I’m just trying to get a ballpark idea
I don't make stencils for sale. I purchased mine from Ernie at http://www.erniesknives.com/ It's been a while and I don't remember the exact cost but I got several each in two different sizes. Properly taken care of they last a long time. I've marked probably 20 blades with the same stencil and it's still good. Send an email inquiry to Ernie and he can give you all the info. If you need some design help let me know and I'll do whatever I can.

Awesome thanks ..... this is what I have my name is to long and I kinda wanted something simple so I came up with south forge and this is what I came up with been thinking of coming up with something a little more but I kinda like stuff simple and to the point ?15C9C131-6DBF-45DB-B728-1AA6A1FCADE7.jpeg

Awesome thanks ..... this is what I have my name is to long and I kinda wanted something simple so I came up with south forge and this is what I came up with been thinking of coming up with something a little more but I kinda like stuff simple and to the point ?View attachment 72165
The design you have is simple and will etch well but people won't be able to find you. They will have no way of knowing SF stands for South Forge They may run a Goggle search looking for Steven Farmer or any SF they can think of.

D Whitt.jpg
You said you had a long name. I wasn't sure of your last name so I made up a longer one to see if it would work. What do you think?

D Whitt2.jpg

I mostly like making folders so I was just trying to make something that is small for smaller blades..... I’m still thinking I’m not set on anything yet but I really need to come up with something soon cause I have a bunch of blanks cut and people asking for blades but I don’t wanna sell any yet without a makers mark

Last time I had him make a stencil it was $60. I forget how many stencils that comes with, but I get so many blades done per stencil, I don’t even worry about it. Figure if you get 6 stencils(I know it’s at least that many), and you get 10 blades per(I’ve done 10 easy per stencil), you’re paying $1 per makers mark. Pretty dandy!

I also followed his recipe for electrolyte solution. And it ROCKS! Have a lifetime supply of it now

Last edited:
This is a great thread. I'm getting close to making knives that I'd be willing to claim as my own and would like to get a stencil. I'm retiring at the end of the year after 38 years at NASA. I'd like my stencil to have a Rocket for sure and maybe the words Rocket Forge. I'm not sure how my name would fit in there or if it's necessary buy maybe my initials D.B. Any idears?

This is a great thread. I'm getting close to making knives that I'd be willing to claim as my own and would like to get a stencil. I'm retiring at the end of the year after 38 years at NASA. I'd like my stencil to have a Rocket for sure and maybe the words Rocket Forge. I'm not sure how my name would fit in there or if it's necessary buy maybe my initials D.B. Any idears?

First decide how large you want the mark to be. The size will dictate what
can be included, i.e., full name or initials.

So, I just got my new stencil from Bo Grospitch. The price was $70 for 10 stencils. He really worked with me to get my design to a point where it would etch cleanly.

I also use his electrolyte recipe, and it does work really well. I also bought the power supply he recommended on his website. I've gotten really clean results with this setup.

So, I just got my new stencil from Bo Grospitch. The price was $70 for 10 stencils. He really worked with me to get my design to a point where it would etch cleanly.

I also use his electrolyte recipe, and it does work really well. I also bought the power supply he recommended on his website. I've gotten really clean results with this setup.

Are you referring to the electrolyte recipe on Ernie’s original website? I noticed it’s not up online anymore. It was still up as of March...the beginning of this thread. Does Ernie’s son Bo have a new website, do you know? Or is he just running things “word of mouth”.

Edit: Nevermind. DUH! You included his email on your first post. Has his site listed- bigguyillustration.com

I emailed Bo about the website. He didn't realize it was down. Apparently it was a problem with the ISP. Ernie's website is back up and running, and still has all of the info on it.

So I finally got my makers mark! It took quite a while, I think that Mr. Grospitch is really busy right now. He helped me get the design right. I have a bear in it because my Grandpa extensively carved bears and we have a couple around the house. (Carvings, not live bears). Now I need to wait till my power supply arrives. It was $77 for I around 16 stencils.knifec.JPG

Last edited:
Holy crap Randy you are good at the logo thing. I missed this when it was first posted. I stamp all mine now but if I ever go back to etching I may have to hit you up brother. I like the logo too Alden.

Back