Another Makers Mark question...

Nick Riggi

I just had my Makers Mark updated, new one will have no box or border to it- and about a 25% reduction in size and inverted the marked area- was wondering where everyone is placing their marks. Left side- right side- upper area or below the bevel or on the ricasso.

From all the photos and knives I've seen the Maker's Mark is usually placed on the left side of blade (left side holding handle in hand with spine upwards) toward the rear third of blade (depending on size, shape, etc) and up close to the spine of blade. The other location is on the ricasso on left side.

You are correct and not most of the marks I see are on the left side. Although this is more prevalent in folders. Being that the show side is the main focus. With fixed blades I have seen both ways left and right. That is the main reason I redid my logo to decrease the size as to not have a billboard effect and was contemplating putting it on the right side just to be less obtrusive

I don’t know why but I’ve always liked the look of the makers Mark on the right side as opposed to the left side. On fixed blades at least I can’t speak for folders. I know the left is considered the presentation side but to me (Right handed) it makes more sense in my mind to have the makers Mark facing out towards people.

Last edited:
I like them on the ricasso because most ricassos (especially mine) are boring. De-Mo’s are really cool but I cannot just copy him so...My mark is currently too big for most ricassos any how.

I like them on the ricasso because most ricassos (especially mine) are boring. De-Mo’s are really cool but I cannot just copy him so...My mark is currently too big for most ricassos any how.
To me a long ricasso is wasted blade length unless it is incorporating an extensive fingerguard that curves back toward the blade

I like the no-box/border look. Seems more elegant. No opinion on which side, but FWIW just pulled my pocket knife out and one out of my desk drawer to look and they both have the brand mark on the left. So, I guess either conform or dare to be different!

Back