Another Kephart Pattern

Steven Long

Just finished this one up. Had two bad days in the shop and was glad it made it.

- 1/8" O1 Tool Steel
- OAL: 8 5/8"
- Cutting Edge: 3 3/4"
- Acid Etched and Tumbled Finish
- Black G10 Liners under White G10 Liners
- Black Canvas Micarta
- Carbon Fiber Hardware

Knife11001_zps9e9c0406.jpg

Knife11002_zpsa406807b.jpg

Knife11003_zpsa3c6cff2.jpg

Knife11004_zps8561ac85.jpg

Knife11005_zpsd11d219a.jpg

Knife11009_zps38a3530c.jpg

Knife11018_zpsab8f418c.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

That should be one fine skinner/utility, I particularly like the thin edge, it should slice wonderfully. Good pattern too, simple no frills but very useful shape. I like how the pins blend so well with the handle, I had to really look for them to see them, I like the uninterrupted blackness of it. I also like the fact the blade finish is on the exposed tang also, that took some planning I suspect...

If I were to nitpick I would say to radius or bevel the front and rear edges of the handle, it looks a bit sharp there.

Thank you for the kind words. Still have a lot to learn on getting the finish better but pretty happy with the first try.

I agree that the edges are too sharp. When placing in a sheath, one side scrapes a little. I might try to very carefully round them off a bit.

I agree that the edges are too sharp. When placing in a sheath, one side scrapes a little. I might try to very carefully round them off a bit.

Steven,
Wrap your blade in blue tape and hand sand the front and rear with 220 grit for starters then go to match your current grit. When I got into knife making a older maker shared with me to think of how a slightly worn bar of dry soap feels in your hand as a guide to rounding off the edges on handles.

Your doing great! Keep them coming!

Thanks guys!

Laurence, That is exactly what I was thinking. This blade sold when I posted it for sale so I am going to check with the new owner first. Thanks for the tips.

Very nicely done! I'm another one that need to take the micarta to a higher grit.

USA Knifemakers Supply is where I get my G10 liner materials. They got a bunch of colors too.

Beautiful work Steven

If you don't mind me asking how do you get that blade finish?

I like O1 as a blade steel but find that it needs care to prevent corrosion. Does your tumbled acid washed finish wear well?
What sort of acid do you use? How is the tumbling done? Is it a similar process to cleaning ammunition cartridge cases?
Is it a hardwearing finish or do you need to keep it oiled?

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

I'm in love with this knife. Let me know if you ever decide to sell it. I think it's simply stunning. I love how the CF pins disappear into the handle and the contrast of the acid washed blade against the micarta. I also love the black and white liners. Just perfect.

Back