Anotehr Mtn Man Bag and Powderhorn

ChuckBurrows

Since folks seemed to enjoy the last one here's another one - this was originally intended for myself but funds got short and I wound up literally selling it off my back
The bag design, size, and decoration are based on the shot bags (one of the actual names used for such bags in the literature of the times - they were NOT called possibles bags - that was/is a different item all together!) seen in the artwork of Alfred J. Miller who went to the 1837 Mtn Man Rendezvous.
The bag is 7 1/2" wide x 9 1/2" tall approximate........the body and strap are made from heavy brain tan that was not overly softened....the beadwork is typical Northern Plains style of the period - color choice and size was based on what was available per the trade lists and other documentation of the 1820-1830's era.......

chucks-pouch-1.jpg

The horn is an original dated 1791 and later 1825 - I added the rawhide repairs to make it usable and added the beaded strap - it's on a separate strap, but buttons to the bag strap when I want to limit swing....
chucks-pouch-2.jpg

The back of the bag - the thong and buffalo bone toggle slip under the waist belt and keep the bag from swinging freely, yet allows the bag and horn to be easily removed without having to remove the belt - what documentation there is for the 1820-1830's era has bags at waist height and not the real high under the arm carry - besides due to a shoulder injury the high carry just doesn't work for me..........You can also see the gusseted bottom which allows a bit more room for my big hands
chucks-pouch-4.jpg

Inside - lined with bed/pillow ticking, also documented to time and place - it has a small inner pouch made from leather to hold greased patches (most likely use), balls, or whatever....
chucks-pouch-3.jpg

Some new and old accoutrements to go along with the new bag...
chucks-accoutrements-1.jpg

Top row below the main horn - from left to right:
Cap horn for when I carry my caplock rifle, shotgun, or C & B revolvers - made it in 1973.....originally a priming horn it turned a real nice mellow yellow naturally (I've primed from my main horn for years).....
Antelope horn powder measure re-enforced with buffalo rawhide - horn is the tip from the first Wyoming goat aka pronghonr I ever took back in 1973. It tucks into a small pocket on the back of the front bag strap, but is attached to the horn in case I choose to carry the horn without the bag or with another one. You can see it tucked into the "pouch" in the second pic from the top.
"Medicine" Bottle aka what one carries his beaver scent in - a piece of red willow covered with deer rawhide

Second Row
Original Ely Bros cap box circa 1840 - I carry a couple of spare flints in it!
An original powder/shot measurer circa 1840 - I use it for my smoothbore

Bottom Row
Hand Forged turn screw I forged out of a mid-1800's rake tine
"Bag" knife - re-shaped from an original Shear Steel table knife made by Robert F. Mosley, Sheffield (circa 1850-60's? - the basic style is older though ) - the bone handle is reinforced with buffalo rawhide - this will eventually get mounted on the back of the bag with a rawhide sheath......
Hand forged fire striker from a piece of old wagon spring I found along the Oregon Trail near South Pass in 1974....

hope ya'll enjoy the look see.................

I wound up literally selling it off my back
A fan chasing Chuck through the woods, " I can't live without it, you can make another!" I hope you got the chance to use it a little, it's a nice 'un. I love the descriptions on the accoutrements photo, almost 40 years of items that you made, kept and used, says a lot about an individual in today's "disposable" society.
Maybe you can keep the next one, if you make it UGLY......Randy

Actually Randy I never did get to use - I sold only the bag in Novemeber 2009....All the rest including the horn are staying with me along with my special knife......

as for making ugly - I just can't LOL!. I do have one in the works similar for myslef, but it will be quilled with some beadwork on the flap only.

Chuck,

Every time I see some of your work, I find myself just shaking my head in awe. Your craftsmanship, knowledge, and attention to detail leave me without the proper words to express my appreciation for what you do.

Thank you again for so freely sharing your boundless knowledge and expertise,
Carey

I absolutely love your work. It's amazing how you can combine the right colors with the right pieces with the right design and come up with something that looks so fantastic. Of course, as a black-powder buff, I'm always keen to see what others are doing. Though, my handiwork isn't anything near your level.

Back