Anchor Chain

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
More goodies. My grandson e-mailed me and siad a friend who's father owns a boat yard gave him some really big old links of anchor chain. He said they each weigh a bunch and he's bringing them home in November. Does anybody have any idea what these things are made of? He said they've been laying around there since they bought the yard about 40 years ago. No telling how long they were there before that.

Around here (Nova Scotia) old anchor chain is often wrought iron. That would be a great score. Wrought iron makes great looking guards, it also forges like a dream.

Possibly wrought if they are that old. You will be able to tell pretty much when you see them. I have a couple of pieces of wrought anchor chain that I traded Aldo out of about 5 years ago. Makes great guards and butt caps. Has to be forged really hot. Otherwise it wants to crumble and look like "Shredded-Wheat.

Possibly wrought if they are that old. You will be able to tell pretty much when you see them. I have a couple of pieces of wrought anchor chain that I traded Aldo out of about 5 years ago. Makes great guards and butt caps. Has to be forged really hot. Otherwise it wants to crumble and look like "Shredded-Wheat.

Mr.Dark!
Yet again, this forum shows what its all about, the last time I forged some of the big chain from Aldo,
it did EXACTLY what you described! I thought it was just a bad piece, which does happen. Now that
I've learned something new, I can use that chain! THANKS Robert, just keep in mind that you never know when you will share
a tidbit of knowledge, that someone like me needs, very badly! Thanks! I really needed to know that!
Rex

Back