An early Christmas present!!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
This is what happens when you've been doing this for so long.... you pick up thing along the way, put them "away" with the idea of "I'll remember where that is".... and then YEARS later, you discover it! :)

Case in point, a 500lb coil of .060" X 6" wide PRE 1990 1095 steel! I had stashed it away, and stumbled upon it..... so I whacked some hunks off, pulled out the Beverly shear, and cut it up, along with some Nickel 201. An early Christmas present! :)

I'm not a huge fan of 1095 in its "straight" format for blade, but it does very nicely mixed with nickel and the results used as overlays and/or fittings.

Congrats Ed - I think a thin layer of nickel in Damascus makes the layers really pop.

Nice! Hopefully a full and quick recovery for Cindy is your stocking stuffer!
Cindy is doing better. Quarantine is over, and of course, she went right back to work. I'd suspect you're just like she and I..... were taught and live a strong work ethic. Cindy treats her job like she's the owner of the dealership (she's the office manager for our local Ford dealership/Bison Ford). So for her, unless she's unable to walk (of as in this case with the covid, the owner teller her to stay away), she's gona be there working! :)

Cindy is doing better. Quarantine is over, and of course, she went right back to work. I'd suspect you're just like she and I..... were taught and live a strong work ethic. Cindy treats her job like she's the owner of the dealership (she's the office manager for our local Ford dealership/Bison Ford). So for her, unless she's unable to walk (of as in this case with the covid, the owner teller her to stay away), she's gona be there working! :)
Glad to hear Cindy is doing ok. Et, tu , Brutus?
Merry Christmas to y'all from northern California.

Gee, I don't think I've ever misplaced 500lbs of anything... although I can't find my car in the parking lot sometimes. Have fun!
It was one of those things that when I initially brought it home, I didn't have a good place for it in the shop...so I put it in a the "conex" behind the shop (I have a 20" sea can/cargo container that's for storage of our ATVs and other stuff) and at the time, we had just placed that container....so the coil got stowed at the very back.....and I just recently worked my way back there....looking for other stuff....and SURPRISE!! :) You ever have those times when you stumble upon something and say to yourself.... "Oh! So that's where that went!" ;)

....You ever have those times when you stumble upon something and say to yourself.... "Oh! So that's where that went!" ;)
Yeah, except it is always the small tool or part I just had in my hands 5 minutes ago. And I only find it AFTER I make or buy a new one. And it's in the dumbest spot.....like in the refrigerator or on the back of the toilet tank. :p

You ever have those times when you stumble upon something and say to yourself.... "Oh! So that's where that went!" ;)
Usually right after I bought a replacement... Someday when my kids have an estate sale, they are going to look at each other shaking their heads and ask "Why does Dad have two of everything?"

That's great news Ed!

Ed, That's wonderful that your wife and you are on the other side of the virus Praise God! A truly great Christmas blessing:) Steve Neustrom

Back