Ammo can

Rick Otts

Awhile back someone talked about ammo cans for their heat treating.I was trying to find out wat size they used and how much it held.

Hey Rick! I used an ammo can (30 cal.) for quite a while and then found a metal tube with a flange base - which I consider safer. I'm not putting ammo cans down by any means but just be careful about hitting the lid and causing it to tip over. I think I remember someone buying a second hand slow cooker or large coffee pot and using that. Of course ammo cans are much cooler. ;)

Hey Rick! I used an ammo can (30 cal.) for quite a while and then found a metal tube with a flange base - which I consider safer. I'm not putting ammo cans down by any means but just be careful about hitting the lid and causing it to tip over. I think I remember someone buying a second hand slow cooker or large coffee pot and using that. Of course ammo cans are much cooler. ;)
I got one now but it's small I put blocks around it so it won't tip over.How much does the 30 cal can hold?

That 40mm can is 17" long. I've quenched a 10 in bowie in it before with no issues. You have to do a horizontal quench, but that is no problem. The lid has a rubber seal, and you can seal up your quenchant between uses. It holds just under 4 gallons.

I use an ammo can that's a bit larger than that one. 50mm I believe. It holds about five gallons. I have been a bit concerned about it tipping over, so I have plans to attach it to one of my tables before I use it again.

I use the largest SS stock pot from Walmart holds probably 4gal but wouldn’t fit a super long blade.

Back