Am I doing this right?

Howdy everyone! I have not posted much here, but I have some kydex questions and this seems the appropriate place to ask them.

I have begun working with kydex recently to try something new. I ordered the requisite materials including the custom dies from USAKnifemaker. For some reason I cannot get the eyelets to come out nice.

I ordered some 8-8 eyelets from those other guys and some of the 8-8 Siska eyelets from USAKnifemaker neither seem to work right. I have been using my drill press for now until I can get my arbor press modified. Here are some pix.

These are the eyelets from the front

Eyelet1.jpg

From the back

eyelet2.jpg

This is how the dies for the eyelets in my drill press. I would think that the die would cover the entire flared end of the eyelet. Again, am I doing this wrong?:les:

Die1-1.jpg

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Nick

Hello, I may be wrong here, But your dies may be backwards, or just the wrong size. I picked up my dies from Boss and the large side of the dies are where you make contact with the eyelets. Based on the photo it looks as if your running the small sides out and if you have the same dies as I do. thats backwards of how there suppose to be used.

I may be totaly wrong? Just going by what I can see in the photo and what my dies look like.

This is how the dies are set up in my drill press.

59e5fe89.jpg

This is how I am putting the sheath with eyelets in between the dies

27fbca39.jpg

I have everything set up like the video on the USAKnifemakers website video.

I am beginning to think they sent me the wrong size.:(

From your picture, it appears you it set up correctly. The one thing I noticed was the eyelet needs to be seated finish side up, flush against the Kydex. Use a quick, sharp movement to form the eyelet. The back will not exactly match the front. It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like you have 3/16" dies with 1/4" eyelets. The pilot on the bottom die should be almost snug on the inside diameter if the eyelet.

Measure the pilot shaft to see what size it is and that will tell you which size dies you have.

I guarantee the dies and eyelets I sell are the best out there and and will back it up without question.

Let me know if you have the smaller dies. Send an email to info.usakms@gmail.com
t

Last edited:
Tracy,

Thanks for the reply. I will measure the pilot shaft tomorrow and see which size dies I have. The 8-8 eyelets are nowhere near snug on the pilot shaft.

The dies and eyelets I bought from you are just fine, I am pretty sure I have either the incorrect die size or improprer technique.

Regards,

Nick

Last edited:
Quick update.

The dies were indeed the wrong size. A new set of dies was sent out pronto and they work great. Great customer service from Tracy and company!

Nick huffing plastic, now I've seen it all........ :9:

How ya doing my friend! Good to see you still active and bending ............... er ........... something. :3:

Back