air compressor problem

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I was using my 20 gallon campbell hausfield air compressor. It's a 3.5peak HP single stage oiless, 110v model.

I was sand blasting (knifedogs dog tags actually) and I started to see some water come shoot out with the abrasive. I don't have a line dryer but it had been some time since I drained the tank so I thought I should do that. I used the relief valve to drain the pressure down to about 40psi. The drain valve is on the bottom so I lifted the tank on it's end the long ways to get wrench on the drain valve and loosen it. I put it back down level and loosened the drain valve all the way. The remaining air pressure was quite strong and it really blew out the moisture when the valve came undone. I rocked it around and drained any other remaining water and screwed the valve back in. When I plugged the unit back in, it won't work.

I'm thinking two things. There is a tip over switch internally that didn't like getting tipped on it's end (it is a closed "oiless" system) or the pressure switch really didn't like me opening the drain valve that way.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

No I've never had that happen, I have a CH 60gal and I've nev3er tried to tip it over. I did toast the compressor in mine once and I called them, when I finally got to the real tech guy (not the one that they 1st hooked me up with) he was really helpful. So you might try calling them if you don't still have your manual.

I'm hoping this one is toast so I can get a 60 or 80. This 20 doesn't last 2 or 3 minutes sandblasting.

OK I can help you with this..... bang around out in the shop for about an hour, make some pretty good noise and maybe yell a little bit, make sure your hands get dirty and get a little dirt on your face (trust me, I'm an expert at this) then walk into the house wiping your hands with a shop towel shakin your head. If you wife sees this display she should ask you whats wrong... tell her the sad tail of the compressor breathing its last breath...

Oik you get the idea right? go for it :D

I laid some pipe on that tonight...but it's good to hear from a pro...

Boss if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem and everyone knows you can't fix an electrical problem! :)

Ok lets see if this works. On some models there is an internal kill switch. Alot of times this goes off and won't let it restart until you reset it. #ut most of the time it won't reset. 8heck to see if it has a fuse some do. Last but very important make sure you have power to it. Plugged in and check the outlet. If this all fails your case for a new one should include, "if I have a bigger one I can do more in a shorter time and spend more time with you."

got the last one to work...but now I keep looking at 60 or 80gallon ones....

Back