Advice regarding HT oven build

ChrisBo

Hi, new member here, I'm Chris from Malta. I'm in the process of building an electric heat treat oven, but before proceeding further I would like to get some advice. So far I have built the oven chamber. I could not find any insulating fire brick local to me and importing from abroad would be prohibitive, so I'm trying aerated concrete brick from Ytong. I have experimented for a while with this material and it seems to be able to handle the heat. It's thermal conductivity coefficient is 0.15W/mK which is close to K23 brick so I'm taking the risk. The internal dimensions for the oven are 40*20*15cm.
Next up are the heating elements, my mains supply is 230v 13amp so I could go to 3Kw but I'd rather limit the current to 10A, that would give me 2.3Kw. I have 20m of 1.2mm Kanthal A1 wire which I bought a couple of years back (yes this project as been on the back burner for quite a while!)
My plan is to use this wire for the element, but before jumping in I would like to hear some opinions and advice. I have read through the forum, online and youtube tutorials and although there's a lot of information sometimes it gets confusing!
Regards
Chris

Back