Admiral Steel 1080/1095 Cutting and Grinding Results

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I was asking a lot of questions about Carbon Steel lately. I was curious about the grinding difficulties of HR vs CRA.

Well, I bought some steel from Admiral and here is what I've found;

The HR1080, HR1095 and CRA1095 sold in the Blade Steel section all seem to cut and grind about the same to me.

I have made multiple cuts of all three steels on my HF Bandsaw with a Bi-Metal blade and I have done some profile grinding on a 60 Grit Blue Zirc belt.

I'm my opinion from the cuts and grinding I've done so far all three of these steels cut and grind pretty easy.

They are definately much easier to cut and grind than the D2 and A2 I worked with on my last 4 knives.

Just thought I would put this out there. There are so many experiances I've read of the HR being a bear to grind. It has not been the case with the steel I just got from Admiral.

I'm sending a piece of each steel to Ernie, maybe he will chime in when he gets it.

Thanks,

Admirals HR1080 is pretty soft, I have no problems with it going from 60 grit blaze to 220 grit norzon, it grinds real easy, any softer and Id be scared of hogging it too fast, be a lot easier to make mistakes. I only use 1080 and 01 right now so I have no input on the 1095 and the 01 is precision ground from amazon of all places, its grinds just as easy.

1080 grinds great, but there are hard spots in it. I hit one of those
where a tang bolt goes and had to anneal to drill the holes.
Now I profile,grind, anneal then drill all of the 1075/1080HR
Jerry

Back