A very simple guardless hunter in buckeye...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This is a nice little basic hunter that was a commissioned piece. Very compact, yet still a powerhouse. I was given some parameters but got to choose the wood. I picked out some buckeye burl as I think it's a very unique wood and flies under the radar somewhat. I can't hardly think of another wood that has such a range of natural colors and figure patterns often times in a piece of wood the size of a knife handle.

Specs:
Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched and etched (the hamon has much more activity than I know how to capture)
7 3/4" overall, 3 1/2" blade, .175" thick at the ricasso
Full distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
Rounded filed thumb grip
Black g-10 collar
Stabilized buckeye burl handle
Checkered stainless steel finial nut

All comments and discussion are welcome.

Wow! I don't know about the rest of you but the "simple" of this knife is absolutely gorgeous! I think the saying " Less is More" comes to mind in this knife! I love it!

That G10 bolster looks like hot blued steel!! thats awsome! is the g10 on solid piece or two pieces stacked?

May I ask, I see you have a finial on there, is this a take down? Do you turn your own finials or do you buy them and modify them? I would really like to try something like this(handle construction) but couldn't turn my own finial(or a custom one anyway)

Well done!

I like the flow. Each part is a part of the whole. The handle is fancy and so are all of the other pieces. But because of the flow, they work in union without any thing to distract the eye. It all flows into one beautiful knife. Ed

Like Daniel said, simply gorgeous, John! I love every detail, and that buckeye burl is amazing. I just received a block buckeye burl in the mail just yesterday and I can't wait to try it out. If it looks half as beautiful as your handle turned out, I'll consider myself very lucky.

Wow, it is a definite simple materials placed together and formed into a useful tool with a beauty that is formed by an artist.
I agree with Anthony it looks like a camo pattern at first glance.

Thanks guys. Now that a couple of you have mentioned it, I can see the camo pattern to. :) I guess this was popular all around because I received multiple emails asking to purchase it and took orders on the books for 3 more just like it within 24 hours of posting. I debated not posting it because it seemed so 'ho- hum' to me. Interesting to see everyone's different tastes.

Wow! I don't know about the rest of you but the "simple" of this knife is absolutely gorgeous! I think the saying " Less is More" comes to mind in this knife! I love it!

That G10 bolster looks like hot blued steel!! thats awsome! is the g10 on solid piece or two pieces stacked?

May I ask, I see you have a finial on there, is this a take down? Do you turn your own finials or do you buy them and modify them? I would really like to try something like this(handle construction) but couldn't turn my own finial(or a custom one anyway)

Well done!

Hi Daniel. the collar is one solid piece. It's line cut in the center so it kind of looks like two. It was a takedown until the very end. It was glued up last thing. Most of mine are that way. I don't really want the end user to take the knife apart, except in certain, pre discussed circumstances. It's just asking for bad things to happen.

I make my own finials because its' cheaper and not all that difficult. You could make one with a cordless or electric drill and your belt grinder. In fact, when ultra precision isn't necessary, I often make them that way because it's really easy. You'd be surprised too that after just a few, I can get them pretty darn precise that way too.

Always a fan John. I like this knife. I think your attention to the details is really what impresses me the most. I wouldnt mind having one of these myself.

Thanks for the good words guys. I appreciate it.

Always a fan John. I like this knife. I think your attention to the details is really what impresses me the most. I wouldnt mind having one of these myself.

Thank you Eric! Anytime if you'd like to discuss placing an order or get on my mailing list when I do have knives available, send me an email:

jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com

Thanks again.

Back