A quick easy tip...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I've been doing this for a while and many of you probably do too. But I did it today and it dawned on me that i might pass it along.

When you're using whole sheets of sandpaper to flat sand wood or other parts on your surface plate, you can get a LOT of extra life out of your sandpaper sheet if you blow it out with your air hose occasionally. You can quite often blow all the dust and debris out of it and it cuts like new again. I think often the paper quits cutting because it's clogged, not because the grit is stripped off or worn down. This works really well with sanding wood especially.

Hey, its not gonna change the world but when abrasives are so expensive, every bit of extra mileage we can get is helpful.

Makes good sense. I get tons of extra mileage from my belts and also the sheets on my disc sander by using a rubber belt cleaner.

I use a little bench brush to clean out my sandpaper on my surface plate. Air would probably work much better, but I don't have a compressor. I would also add that I glue the paper to my surface plate with some low-tack adhesive (Elmer's Rubber Cement) to keep the paper steady so I can use both hands without the paper wandering. It cleans off the granite plate really easily by rubbing it with your finger like you used to do back in grade school to make rubber "boogers" to chase the girls with :3:. Alright, maybe I was the only one to do that. . .

I also use the rubber belt cleaner like Mr. Wilson stated above for my belts and disk grinder. It really extends the life expectancy of the abrasives.

Great advice John!
Also, avoid to press hard onto the wood, creating very stubborn clogs difficult for the air to blow away.

Lloyd Hale made a post several years ago that I've never forgotten.

When sanding, water cuts, oil polishes.

Lloyd Hale made a post several years ago that I've never forgotten.

When sanding, water cuts, oil polishes.

Can you tell me more about this?

I've tried a lot of things for hand sanding. Windex, WD40, water, nothing, and Mobil 1 synthetic.

My best results, by far, has been with the Mobil 1. I do see the polishing properties, but it also cuts faster than anything I've tried.

What is the secret to water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I read that tip from Lloyd, I tried it and it seemed to me he was right but it's certainly subjective.

I think maybe you might want try using water for larger grits and oil for the finer grits.

Can you tell me more about this?

I've tried a lot of things for hand sanding. Windex, WD40, water, nothing, and Mobil 1 synthetic.

My best results, by far, has been with the Mobil 1. I do see the polishing properties, but it also cuts faster than anything I've tried.

What is the secret to water?

It can't hurt. Anything that can reduce the 3-4 hours I spend hand sanding a knife is worth a shot.

Back