A Newbie's 1st and 2nd Knives.

JayDee70

Gold Membership
Forum: "New to Knifemaking" This looks like the right place for my first post:biggrin:. Made my introductions and then wen looking for the proper forum to post some pics of my first knives. Someone correct me if I am wrong but it looks like I could have posted in several different forums to "show off" my first knives. But being a newbie this forum looks made to order.:3: So here we go.

Knife (1):
I refer to her as Beauty and think she came out great as a first knife, yes if you look close enough you can see things like tool marks/sanding marks etc. but overall it looks great to me and My customer was ecstatic. If any of you are members of the IAP(International Association of Penturners) at penturners dot org, check out my post in their "Other things we make" forum, look for a thread titled But I Don't Make Knives...I Make Pens!!.

IMG_1694_5_Detail.jpg IMG_1700_699_1_Detail.jpg

From the blade suppliers website:

440C Stainless Steel Satin Finish
Overall length: 7-5/8"
Blade length: 3"
Blade width: 1"
Blade Thickness: 1/8"
Bolster Holes: 1/8"
Handle Holes: 1/8"
Thong Hole: 1/4"
HRC57-58
ACCESSORIES SOLD SEPARATELY
K364 Stainless Steel Bolster
KT103 Sheath

Put this together and threw it in as a freebie for the customer.
IMG_1546_5_7_Detail.jpg

Knife (2):
This one I call the "Beast" and I think it is obvious why. Same customer and another freebie stand.

AssemblyProc (24).jpg AssemblyProc (25).jpg AssemblyProc (26).jpg AssemblyProc (27).jpg AssemblyProc (28).jpg AssemblyProc (29).jpg

Blade Data:
Jantz Item# JD722 - The overall length is 9 3/8"(I had to cut about half the tine off), blade length is 4 3/4"(I measured 5-1/8") long and 1 1/8" wide, 5/32" thick.

Hardware:
"German Silver"(aka nickle-silver) finger guard and pommel, imported from Ukraine

Antler:
Whitetail Deer, customer supplied.

Comments and Criticisms welcomed.

So were these stock removal or kit knives?
Both blades are finished type blades from Jantz Supply. I had to do some shape grinding on the tang and the ricasso areas but the blades in general were already finished so I suppose "kit knife" would be descriptive enough although I would prefer "knife components" or "component set" to describe their build to a customer.

I'm more of a woodworker/ink-pen-maker and for the most part pen makers dislike using the term "pen-kit" especially when discussing pens with a customer although we have no problem using the word kit among ourselves. In any-case forging in my "wood" shop would not be a good idea, besides I don't really see myself as a metal worker to any degree. The grinding I have to do, such as sharping my turning tools and now grinding on knives, makes me very watchful and I keep an extinguisher quite close when doing any such operation.:biggrin:

But all that being said and keep in mind these are only my first two knives, I have been looking into 2-brick and tin-can knife forges as well as what knife metals in the bar form cost. I did a lot of you-tubing last night and it has pique my interest somewhat. Stock removal and heat processing to harden may not be so involved as I first thought.:5:

I was just curious because the first knife I did looked like a poorly constructed prison shank/steak knife. Nothing wrong with constructing "component set" knives, I was just curious. Very nice work man.

Be warned, if you get into stock removal/forging they will suck you in. There's no hope for me, I'm already a grinder junkie:biggrin:

I was just curious because the first knife I did looked like a poorly constructed prison shank/steak knife. Nothing wrong with constructing "component set" knives, I was just curious. Very nice work man.

Be warned, if you get into stock removal/forging they will suck you in. There's no hope for me, I'm already a grinder junkie:biggrin:
Thanks for the warning. Over on my wood-turning forums we consider that sucking sound the turning vortex and if this is anything close to the same vortex, your right, there is no hope of getting out of it.
4.gif

If your interests are piqued at the stock removal part of this addictive hobby be prepared for the cash register sound to go off alot when starting out. Looking like you have a good start on this hobby.

Back