A NEW Norton Norax belt that you might want to try...

Yes Franklin, I am using the 60 grit version of the Cubitron II on my Bader grinders and on my surface grinder.

The filings on my surface grinder look more like steel wool than dust with a fresh belt.
I noticed that forging scale really does a number on the belt, much like the gator belts I see abrasive flying off but no sparks.
So I remove it with a 4" grinder or soak it off in vinegar.
When grinding bevels the blade is cooler as the video shows.
Best of all No black crud on the wheels!

ernie

No, in my opinion they are nothing like "Gators". I think the Gators are good belts, but they have some drawbacks that make me use them only for specific purposes.

Harm: These U936 belts are totally different than the standard Norax belt, which is a #U254.[/Q

Does anyone know if these are made in a 4x36? If so, Where can you buy these? Thanks.

Go to True Grit and see what they carry under 4X36 but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Those machines were made pretty much with wood working in mind and so are the belts made to fit them. It's just one of the draw backs in trying to use a 4X36 for grinding duties.

Doug

Go to True Grit and see what they carry under 4X36 but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Those machines were made pretty much with wood working in mind and so are the belts made to fit them. It's just one of the draw backs in trying to use a 4X36 for grinding duties.

Doug

I have purchased, Blaze & 3M Cubitron belts in 6 x 48" from www.trugrit.com

Call them, The don't have all of their belts listed on the site.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Jumping into the zombie thread, heh. If we're talking about the stiff blue back U936 they are the same as the ones I had made up from American Welding & Gas locally in Lewistown, Montana as a custom order. They can make them to your exact size specification, direct from the manufacturer. My lead time was 6 weeks and required a minimum of 50 belts per grit. Basically any Norax grade is available from 5x (micron) up to 100x (roughly 220) and possibly coarser. 2 x 72" were 14.00 each. I second getting tougher to find stuff from Trugrit. I am still using the first 3 I unboxed after dozens of knives, only the 16 micron is showing wear and will be replaced soon and the 45x and 100x are barely showing any wear at the edges. They don't roll at all so they don't work on handles but for blades the price for ounce of performance is exceptional. At this rate I'll have enough blade finishing belts to last for years.

Doug

Doug, are you suggesting that the 4x36 might not be the best choice for knife sharpening? Is that why the preponderance of videos on YouTube show the 1x30 instead? Is there a cost-effective 1x30 sander out there under $250 that is not substandard?

I had a Delta 1x42 and a friend has a 1x30 Rikon. The belts are expensive in proper grits for sharpening, but for that task alone they should last quite awhile. The downside to the small machines is they're typically a very fast fixed speed, I intended on using my Delta for sharpening exclusively but had trouble with it burning the edges.

Doug, are you suggesting that the 4x36 might not be the best choice for knife sharpening? Is that why the preponderance of videos on YouTube show the 1x30 instead? Is there a cost-effective 1x30 sander out there under $250 that is not substandard?

4 X 36 is too wide for sharpening and those little machines run way to fast, You will cook out the temper of the blades when sharpening.
even If the 1 x 30 or 2 x 48 run fast. You can keep the knife moving and dip it in some water.

I use my 2 x 72 adjustable speed machine for everything including knife sharpening.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back