A message for you beginners.

Thanks Calvin - that is so true. A wise person once said you learn from from a failure than a success........ "IF" you're smart that is.

Ken H>

By my OOPs bucket I must be a grand master, Not! LOL

The best lessons I have learned are when one of my knives gets reviewed by a master who truly looks at your work. Most also will tell you how they would do it.

Calvin this is so true. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for this.
I have to agree George. You have to know what you are doing wrong in order to fix it. The easiest way for this is to find someone better than you. I've had the pleasure over the last year to meet a lot of really good makers. Last summer I was able to have Steve Culver critique my best knife (at the time). The 2 things he pointed out were a handful of fishhook scratches in the finish and that 1 plunge was a slightly different radius than the other. In telling a friend what was said his comment was that Steve was being overly critical. My reply was that he wasn't, he was giving the critique and advice that I asked for.... That I needed!
I can't begin to express the gratitude I have for you guys that share your knowledge so freely. Thank you.

Chris

Very true. A lot of things have come very easily to me in my life, but anything that I am really good at is something that I struggled mightily to get proficient at. Knifemaking is in the latter group. I can't say any part of it has come easily. Everything that I learn seems to come from a royal butt-kicking.

I'm a big fan of Walter Sorrells on youtube. He said something that really helped me: "Fail your way to success." And that's been the utter truth for me. As a newbie, my successes are a direct result of perseverance when I have really begun to doubt myself. Just pushing through the frustration makes me realize that it's not rocket science, but it definitely is a lot of hard work. If there's a secret, it's that shortcuts produce results that look like you took shortcuts.

Back