A little help here please!

KCorn

Hey guys! I am making my mom a kitchen knife for Christmas and I am using some pecan from my Grandparents old farm for the handle scales. I have considered sending the wood off to be stabilized, buying some cactus juice and trying to do it myself, using tru- oil, or maybe a superglue finish. What would you recommend? It is a full tang knife and the pecan really doesn't have much color to it. I am just using the pecan for sentimental reasons. Thanks!!

My first choice would be to cut a bit oversize and send to K&G or one of the other pro stabilizers. having said that, looks like cactus juice may be a good alternative!
You will have a cost to set up a vacuum tank if you don't have a pump, so if this is a one of, pro stabilized might be your best bet. I've used Tung oil and while its a nice finish, mine didn't like the wear and tear of kitchen use.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

If not stabilizing I would use several coats of pure tung oil. Great stuff, drys hard, has a nice shine, and when dry food safe.

I have used K&G several times. They will not disappoint you. However, 1 set of scales will not be very cost effective. Send in a few extras just to make the shipping charges better.

DeMo

Bite the bullet and send in as much as you can to K&G. If not check with Faron Moore, I got some curly pecan from him that was outstanding!DSC00819.jpgDSC00822.jpgDSC00823.jpgDSC00825.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will send some to K&G for sure. What is the typical turn around time?

If you are just sending in a few pieces for clear stabilization, should be about 2 weeks. I would call them and ask what their turn around time is running like right now.

Back