A little different

Deltashooter

Here is a little piece that I started playing around with about a year ago.

A buddy brought me a Chevy 4x4 transfer case chain and wanted to make a damascus knife out of it. So we made up a couple of billets and he lost interest in it, and in knife making.

Well sometime last summer I found the billet still welded to the rebar handle rusted. So I knock the rust off and forged out a knife blank, rough ground it and set it aside until now. Did a quick etch on it and I kind of like the random pattern on it so now I guess I’ll go ahead and make a knife out of it and see if it will hold up.
Any ideas?
IMG00143.jpg

Todd

Thanks Murph.
Yep I’ll bring it.
Heck I’ll even bring yours.
Actually it’s in the truck now so I DON’T forget it:biggrin:

I might even get to work on 1 or 2 the next couple of nights.

Todd

Sooo... when you forge billets from random old metals like that, how in the world do you handle the heat treating?

Well Brad I reckon that was what the “Any ideas” was all about.

But my little pea brain idea is to heat treat it like 10xx.
If it turns out good great if not it cost me about $ 20.00 in gas and electricity.

But hey I’ll try anything once. Sometime twice if I’m not smart enough to figure that I can’t do it the first time:biggrin:

Todd

Gotcha... I didn't realize that's what you were asking for ideas about... Hope all turns out well on this one. that really is a cool random pattern..

delta shooter i just sent randy hass some forklift chain was told most of its made from 5160 or 52100 so you might try heat treating it as it was 1 of those sorry thats all i got

Hey Brad I’m open for any ideas.

If all goes well in the heat treat I plan on drawing it back at 375*for an hour twice.
Don’t ask me why it just seems like a good starting point.

Then if I get the color I want I check the spine with a file and RC test it.
If it’s all good I guess I’ll make a knife out of it.
If not, I just may try again:biggrin:

Todd

Back