A frontier style Rio Grande Camp Knife and Sheath

ChuckBurrows

Inspired by the Rio Grande Camp knives of the late 1800's, our version has a 7 5/8" x 1/4" thick blade handforged from W2 steel by by bladesmith Romey Bromwich of High Country knives with file work on the spine by me. The deer antler crown grip has a brass bolster and a deer rawhide wrap and decorated with some simple incise carving. There is an American eagle coin buttcap.
The partially beaded sheath has a heat hardened bark tan leather liner with a deer rawhide cover and braintan buckskin cuff making for a very tough sheath designed for hard use that has the flavor of the Old West. Other decoration consists of iron tacks in two sizes and a criss cross alum tawed sheepskin wrap on the cuff.
Everything has been lightly aged to give it that used but not abused look.....This is the first collaboration between Romey and myself - with more to come.

wc-001-2.jpg

wc-001-1.jpg

Chuck,
Your work speaks for itself. Amazing. Romey's blade works real nice with this package. Any chance we can see the back side of the sheath? Great work. Wade

Breathtaking, both the sheath and blade, if I may, is alum tawed the process that was used for bookbinding leathers ?
Thanks.........Randy

Glad ya'll like the look since these are my favorites - I've done 3 (or4?) in a similar style and definitely plan on more........

Chuck,
Your work speaks for itself. Amazing. Romey's blade works real nice with this package. Any chance we can see the back side of the sheath? Great work. Wade
Howdy Wade - this is not the same sheath but these two pics show the same method of attachment - on this one I use three thongs laced through the two outer layers (braintan cover and cuff) to attach the belt loop using a bleed knot - the method is based on an original pictured in Mystic Warriors of the Plains. On the second pic and on this one I riveted the upper part through the top layers ("hidden" inside the loop) and used a thong with bleed knot for the lower tie.

WildGoo-018-4.jpg

sheath-merritt-2.jpg

if I may, is alum tawed the process that was used for bookbinding leathers ? Thanks
Howdy Randy - yes that is one method of tanning used on bookbinding leathers - veg tanning is also used. I get mine from a tannery in Montana for which I can't find the address right now..if you want email me at chuck@wrtcleather.com and I'll find it for you..

Chuck I have got to say I really like this knife and sheath! :35:

I hope you don't mind a few questions about this type of sheath!

I have made one sheath using tacks. I won't post a picture because I don't feel it would be appropriate and my work doesn't begin to compare with yours!

With the sheath I was worried the tacks would become loose later on if I didn't do something to secure them. I made I laid out the tacks like I wanted them and since they were too long I cut off the point and put a dap of epoxy under the head and drove them into the sheath. That process doesn't sound like it would work with the nails like you used on this sheath, as their is no hollow under the head of the nails!

1. When attaching the nails and tacks to a sheath do you use the same process for attachment of both tacks and nails to the sheath, in other words how do you do it?

2. The rawhide wrap on the handle appears to be stitched from underneath. How do know how long to leave the rawhide so it can be stitched and will still stretch tight when it dries?

Chuck I hope you don't feel these questions an intrusion or that I am trying to get you to divulge trade secrets because I figure when a fellar needs a drink of water. There is no better place to go than the well! :biggrin: All kidding aside Your knives and sheaths are a testament of your knowledge of the era and I do consider you vast knowledge of this era invaluable source!

Last edited:
Back