A few finished up and some firsts

MikeL

KNIFE MAKER
A few finished up in the last month and a half.

Inspired by a couple knife makers I follow, I decided to play around with deep hollow grinds on a couple of these. The straight razorish looking knife is more of a utility knife made from scrap steel. It’s more for around the house kinda stuff. The other is a EDC type knife. Not too useful for hunting uses because of the deep grind but good for other EDC tasks.

The real first is the kitchen knife. My first kitchen knife First wa handle. First flat grind in about three years. First use of AEBL Trying to find heat treat methods for AEBL wasn’t that easy. Thank you John Wilson for helping me out on a good process. It’s a 5.5” petty with curly mango and cocobolo in the handle. I learned a lot on this knife. This one stays home! Hope to apply those lessons learned to the next build. Wa handles are not as easy to make as they look. Plungless grind lines are not as easy as they look. I definitely need more practice. Grinding thin steel that flexes is not so easy.... But it was a fun challenge and ready to do it again.
9AFC4060-C868-4BDA-9F98-7D3A959CF788.jpeg

3AB8A82C-32C1-4A0E-9B0E-EADC3E564D13.jpegD9A13D6E-42D1-4EE9-8555-E598D7B3483C.jpeg3A3EBCC9-8FA3-475D-A753-B1341A5C2A6A.jpeg129ABBC7-4CED-4ED1-9DA5-44CEE8C6B41C.jpeg

Thank you guys. I think I’m going to enjoy the challenge of kitchen knives. Totally different kind of build. Hope to get the plungless grind lines down soon.

Thanks again. I am working on the second kitchen knife with plungless grind line attempt. So far it is better but I’m finding there has to be more room to feather the grind before impacting the tang. Even when grinding at an angle verses going just horizontally I still need more room. Maybe the third knife I’ll get it. :oops:

5b914b39-2414-4afc-8273-f87f3a3cbb09-jpeg.67400

Now that is a nice touch!thumb up.jpg

Thank you.
Several lessons learned but the biggie on the second attempt at a wa handle, don’t narrow the wood too close at the tang or you will expose the alignment pins. Yes, I did. :oops:

My third wa. I moved the internal pins along the spine and cutting edge rather than left and right this time. This way there is very little chance of exposing drill holes for pins while shaping the handle. I’m guessing many knife makers considered that well before actually building a handle and then exposing the pins. But, I often learn the hard way. :confused:

E6641D73-732F-450D-8D0D-42D87BDF4F1D.jpeg

:)

Back