A couple Canadians from…..Canada!

Duncan Tipton

Hi everyone!

Here are a couple Canadian hunter style knives I've been grooving on for the past couple months. They both have 3.75 inch long blades and are 8.5 OAL.

The polished knife is 3/32 thick ATS-34 measuring 60RC, it has Water Buffalo scales with red liners and brass bolsters.

The hand sanded knife is 1/8 thick ATS-34 at 60 RC as well. It has Lava Kirinite scales that I got from Boss Dog. I used red liners as well. I added jimpping by request, but I really like it. I made it really shallow so it isn't sharp. The Kirinite has proved very popular with the people interested in my knives.

Both are now in loving care of their new homes, and all I have are the photos, but that makes me happy.

Any comments are welcome, thanks for taking the time to have a look. Duncan

IMG_5701.jpgIMG_5676_2.jpgIMG_5671.jpgIMG_5677.jpgIMG_5704.jpgIMG_5674.jpgIMG_5705.jpg

So that is a "Canadian Hunter"? Always wondered what they were called. That style was THE belt knife when j joined the Canadian Armed Forces in the 90s. Those are awesome BTW.

Great Nessmunkish pattern skinners!
That Kirinite works great on knives that are in constant exposure to blood and and moisture.

Now you've all got me researching this knife design! This knife is my take on the Grohmann "Canadian Belt knife" as they call it. A lot of the folks I associate with use the Grohmann knife in the field. I found the design comfy but a couple things bugged me. The hollow grind seemed too thick and low, and my friends are always sharpening them while I cut moose! I have a feeling the steel or HT has something to be desired. So I made my own. My edge is a full flat grind, with a convex secondary bevel. The primary bevel is .01 thick at the edge before the sharpening. They cut really well, but are purpose built and shouldn't be pryed with or hacked into bone or the like.

Thank you all for the kind words. I would also be interested to hear what you know about the original design.

Laurence, I googled Nessmunkish Pattern and couldn't find anything. I think I've heard the word before but never put it with what I considered to be a Canadian belt knife. Where can I see some examples of the Nessmunkish pattern?

Duncan

Duncan, the grohmann was often called a jump knife due to its popularity in the old airborne regiment. It was also popular with sailors. I have always had a thing for them.

Laurence and Tony,

Thanks for sharing info on this knife design and its cousins, I gotta say, i think I have a "thing" for the design as well.

Duncan

I haven't made my version in a few years. I love the way there is a flowing curve from blade to handle in these style of knives. I will have to make a few blanks up for my next heat treat batch.

Yours are great.

i agree with the grohman leave something to be desired in the edge holding department, but the shape is neat, your take on it is definitely better.
Nice work!

Thanks everyone for the complements! If any of you reading this thread have Canadian Hunter design knives past or present I'd love to see them.

Duncan

Back