80crv2 questions

ACLakey

I've been nerding out on steel for my next batch of knives and have some questions about 80crv2. I'm planning on making several hunting knives out of 3/16 with blades between 3.5 and 4.5 inches long. I may even throw a camp/chopper in the mix.... Similar to these that are off for heat treatment.

db2db1b7017bcdd7060855d3556468d0.jpg

With the toughness of 80crv2 what should my grind edge width be pre and post heat treatment?

With the toughness of the steel, would I benefit from a higher 62ish RC for good edge retention?

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated. I'm also considering O1, A2, and D2... So many good choices

I go about things from a bit different angle..... I always strive for a "zero" edge bevel when finish grinding is complete (the less cutting resistance I build into a blade, the better)..... so what I do rather then decide on a specific Rc hardness is to tailor the hardness level to the type of grind/edge....meaning that harder isn't always better. :)

As far as how thick to leave thing pre-heat treat, I always try to err on the side of overly thick..... I can always grind it away later, but if I take too much off, I can never put it back. :)

Back