7x14 lathe

AkWildman

Well I pulled the trigger last night on a Grizzly 7x14 lathe.There are a number of things I know I will have to change on this little machine to make me happy such as metal gears and better bearings but it should suit my purposes just fine.

I was going to go with a smaller 7x12 but once you add a drill chuck and a drill there isn't a lit of room between centers so I spent a couple more bucks .

Probably corbys, custom screws,finials .Also there are some tools I want to make and a lathe would be a asset in those projects.At some point the wife and I will move full time out to our homestead and it will also be a plus out there,sometimes you need a screw you dont have or a bushing and your 63 miles from the nearest road.Ive had to cobble up stuff for the river boat or snowmachine to get back to town and had I had my mill and a lathe it wouldn't have been a issue.

I've heard other people mention changing out gears and bearings on Grizzly lathes. Why is that? Are those parts sub-standard but easy to change out? I have a Grizzly drill press and it's solid as a rock.

I just bought one of their G0704 mills. Looks like a decent machine! I know belt drive and bearings on this machine are big upgrades?

I've heard other people mention changing out gears and bearings on Grizzly lathes. Why is that? Are those parts sub-standard but easy to change out? I have a Grizzly drill press and it's solid as a rock.
The head stock comes with ball bearings in it and a simple upgrade to tapered bearings will make it run smoother and quieter. I may leave the nylon change gears as they provide a weak point should something go wrong and just upgrade to a metal drive gear.

The head stock comes with ball bearings in it and a simple upgrade to tapered bearings will make it run smoother and quieter. I may leave the nylon change gears as they provide a weak point should something go wrong and just upgrade to a metal drive gear.
OK that makes sense. After I posed my question I read the reviews on Grizzly and have a clearer understanding now.
Thanks for the information!

Back