6 x 610 belt grinder

Olivier

Just finished building this little monster. Not 6 x 610cm or 6 x 610inches but 6mm x 610mm! The machine is based on a design for a 50mm x 2000mm beltgrinder by Gawie Herbst only much smaller. I actually wanted to make an exact scale model of the larger version but that would mean that I would have to make my own belts. The 6mm (or 9mm) x 610mm is a standard size belt for power files although it seems that it is only available in 40# to 120# so I still have to see about that. The technical assistent for Pferd abbrasives assured me they can make anything I need.

The machine is powered by 70W Singer sewing machine motor and has variable speed via a foot pedal and tops out at 5500RPM. Diameter of contact wheels are 18mm, 24mm and 32mm.

The total cost for the project was about ZAR475.00. That's ZAR400.00 for the almost new sewing machine I butchered for the motor, ZAR10.00 worth of scrap metal from the scrap yard, ZAR45.00 for a can of hammertone spraypaint and ZAR20.00 for screws and stuff.

I still have to fit the switch and sort out a few small technicalities and then I will see if it's any good for making miniatures.

Please don't choke laughing at my welding........ :shush:

Mini grinder 3.jpgMini grinder 4.jpgMini grinder 1.jpg6 x 610 belt grinder

When I first saw the title, I thought it was in inches. I had to find out how often the belt was changed! ;) Nice looking grinder.

Jamie

Perfect little belt grinder for slip joints. I love it. I expected a huge grinding room to hold it.

Back