5160 help

MikeS

Good afternoon guys,
I could use some help please. I am starting to branch out on my steels. I have gone to KC’s website and looked up info on 5160 steel. The site is excellent and I have used his information on O-1 steel and it works like a charm. The problem is I am read the information on 5160 steel and I do not understand It. Can some break down the normalizing and annealing of this steel for me. I guess I need some help with basic English. Thanks
Mike

Normalizing- simply heat to a lower forging temperature, the literature says 1600°F, if you have a controlled oven. and then simply air cool.

Annealing- industry gives some multi step isothermal annealing direction, however this steel is a relatively simple hypoeutectoid alloy so there will be very little problem with carbide segregation. You can heat to nonmagnetic and do the vermiculite if you wish, or you can cycle several times around 1300°F in the forge for a spheroidal anneal.

Kevin,
Thanks for the help. I was reading on you site and was getting caught up in the lingo. I have electric oven with an electronic control so that is pretty straightforward.
Mike

Back